what preamp do you use with your chipamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use the "Uno" design from Decibel Dungeon with my Chipamp.com LM3875 and FR125s

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/decdun/gainclonepre2.html

Its my first amp build and has been in "test" mode for 3 months now with only one set of inputs, no lid on the case etc. The reason is that I cant bring myself to unplug it and finish it as I would much rather be listening to it!
One thing I will say is that it worked on stripboard first time for me, and I'm new to this stuff so that goes well in its favour.

The Twisted Pear Audio's Kookaburra Pre-amp

I cheated with mine, I went for a kit from Twisted Pear. This is most definately the easy way out. The kit is so simple to build, the components are all labelled to match the silkscreen, the boards are well constructed. No need at all for instructions.

My next project was the DDAC from Doede. Wonderfull kit, but not as easy to build, no component values marked, so a mulitmeter was essential.

Back on to the subject of the pre. The kook has a very nice sound, although now and then I get a little noise when I adjust the volume. I use it staright into my Inverted Gainclone, no caps and the combination sounds magical. I have nothing to compare it to DIY wise yet, but will remedy this soon.

Greetings, Since I prefer a more mellow sound from my chip, I used a tube preamp. It started out as a kit from Jaycar, but I modified it for better sound and to drive my chip amp. The original had Jantzen caps, but I am building another with Auricaps for comparison. The availability of the kits is dubious, but I listed a source of the boards in a write up I did. See the www.diyaudioprojects.com site and look at the project "Beauty" if you want further info.

I also find that the slightly modified Velleman 8021 preamp I have makes a good driver for the chip amp. It uses a single TLE2071 and only 1 Auricap cap in the signal path.

Good listening,
gofar99

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.