"photo" Caps & audio circuits ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seven, what I've heard is that in normal service photoflash caps are charged all the way up, then completely discharged; this once a minute or so, episodically. They are designed and constructed uniquely for this odd sort of service. Put in a power supply, where they are charged most of the way up and then partially discharged and recharged sixty times a second, their service life will be very short.

If you're looking for very good, very economical electrolytic caps, have a look at Panasonic ED, TSHA, TSHB at Digi-Key. I have found nothing better, and I have A-B'd them with the heavy hitters.

Aloha

Poinz

juergenk said:
I'm currently using 1000u at the amplifier board and 10000u as charging capacitor after the rectifier
regards
Juergen

might do for you

a bit too much for a simple chip amp
in my book
of course for heavy metal music :rolleyes: we may need 20mF!!!

PS. It is NOT anything bad with high voltage rating for caps
In fact, it is good when a cap can take 200-1000 Volts
- a sign of quality. This is true for example for Polypropylene, 2.2 -10uF = input capacitors.

But for electrolytics, power Supply Caps, higher voltage means BIGGER & More Expensive.
So a waste of space and your money.

If a power Supply Cap is rated 10-20 volt above the V+ it is most cases good enough.
For a +/- 40 VDC rectifier bridge (4 diodes) supply
we can use for example 4.700uF/ 50VDC or 4.700uF 63VDC.

Regards lineup :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I remember ads from old periodics where Croft mentioned using photo elcos in his best models of preamps;

I have no intention to say that photo caps are better or worse than some "audio" grade ones.......but I really can't imagine worst scenario for one cap use than heavy discharging.......... charging and discharging it 100 or 120 times/sec in ordinary PSU must be piece of cake .........or easy task for them.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.