NE5532 or OPA2134

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The NE5532 is a Bipolar Input opamp and the OPA2134 is a Fet Input opamp so depending on what the Opamp is doing in the curcuit the OPA2134 may or might not be a suitable replacement....

I would maybe look into other Bipolar input opamps with simular specs for a replacement or maybe post the schematic of the unit....

;)

Minion said:
The NE5532 is a Bipolar Input opamp and the OPA2134 is a Fet

Input opamp so depending on what the Opamp is doing in the curcuit
the OPA2134 may or might not be a suitable replacement....

I would maybe look into other Bipolar input opamps with simular specs for a replacement or maybe post the schematic of the unit....

;)

Hello, Wandelblu, Minon.

If the orginal OP is a FET (like TL072, OPA2134 etc)
we may be careful
sometimes NOT possible to replace with Bipolar (like NE5532 etc).

When the original OP is Bipolar(like NE5532 etc)
we can most always
replace with FET or another similar Bipolar OP.

Another way to say it:
JFET OPamps like OPA2134 can replace most any other audio opamp.
Bipolar or not.

Now there are both Bipolar and JFET OPs of many types.
So there is no 100% garantee it will work
But if unsure, it is good to ask, as been done in this topic.
We are many that could make a very good guess
especially if we can see schematic of actual circuit.

If you want to keep it Bipolar and upgrade to a 'better'
you may want have a look at:
OP275 ---> http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/OP275.pdf
LM833 ---> http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/LM833-D.PDF

My advice, still:
Go for OPA2134 :cool:
- it gives great audio value for money
- easy to find and buy - wherever on Earth (except Antartics :D )
- it has been proven to work well and be stable in most any audio circuit
- without doubt the most used and loved op-amp in diy audio

As being a Dual OP-Amp with JFET input transistors,
it can, in 90% of all cases, replace BOTH Bipolar type and other JFETs.
Without any issues :cool:

Regards
lineup
:)

Keruskerfuerst said:
A good choice would be:

Analog Devices AD 8620, but the recommended supply voltage is +-12V.

Texas Instruments THS4032.

Both are bipolar input OPs.

AD8620 is JFET not bipolar input.

I agree with the prior post that normally a JFET can replace the prior bipolar, but why the focus on only these two? THS4032 might work but is probably harder to keep stable and it's higher output current capability is unnecessary.

The general character of OPA2132 is slow, semi-smooth and mellow tubby sound. What is the supply voltage for this opamp? That might narrow the possible candidates unless you were to modify more of the circuit to raise voltage some.

Whether these are SOIC or DIP(8?) might matter as well, limiting choices.

How many *need* replaced at what is the budget for it? Many like OPA2107 but it does cost 4X as much, is possibly a more detailed cousin of OPA2132. AD8620 is also a good candidate, a little livelier, less laid-back sound.

wandelblu said:
I have a cd player SONY XA2-ES, It has four opamp NE5532, I'm thinking to change them with OPA2134.

I've been through this on a Sony CDP-X55ES and changing the 4 opamps to 2134 did not sound as good (became very shouty and over blown) as leaving the first 2 as 5532's and only changing the last 2 to 2134's.

Best results (by a mile) came from changing the last 2 opamps to AD825.

BTW, the output caps after the opamps were changed to Black Gate NX and have also had success with Nichicon ES.

YFW

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
consider the spec.

I suggest you should condider the requirement of the circuit first.
NE5532 could work in higher supply voltage,for example,+/- 22V.
But OPA2134 could only work under +/-18V.

If you wanna change the OP,try to confirm the working voltage in advance.:)

Re: consider the spec.

YFW said:
I suggest you should condider the requirement of the circuit first.
NE5532 could work in higher supply voltage,for example,+/- 22V.
But OPA2134 could only work under +/-18V.

If you wanna change the OP,try to confirm the working voltage in advance.:)

In most cases the supply voltage is below +-15V. I actually have not seen one going above +-18V. And I am not sure what benefit a designer gets out of a +-22V supply.

YFW

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Re: Re: consider the spec.

ctong said:

In most cases the supply voltage is below +-15V. I actually have not seen one going above +-18V. And I am not sure what benefit a designer gets out of a +-22V supply.

Some designers will increase the power supply voltage achieve higher dynamic range,although the signal output is tiny.
For a dual OP like NE5532 working in high voltage,maybe you could try OPA2604 which could work under +/-25V.

Re: Re: Re: consider the spec.

YFW said:

Some designers will increase the power supply voltage achieve higher dynamic range,although the signal output is tiny.
For a dual OP like NE5532 working in high voltage,maybe you could try OPA2604 which could work under +/-25V.

Any particular component/model that uses such a high-voltage supply?

Re: Re: consider the spec.

ctong said:

There might be lots of different reasons to use any particular supply voltages. Needing a larger output swing might be a common reason for using higher supply voltages.

One case might be when a device has better specs at +/-22V, for a particular application. For example, if you look at the OP275 datasheet, at http://www.analog.com , Figure 5 in the Applications section shows that in order to drive 10V RMS into 600 Ohms and still get low THD (Total Harmonic Distortion), the supply voltages must be >= +/-19V. For 1 kHz 10VRMS into 600 Ohms, with +/-18.5V supplies, the THD is about 0.1%. But with +/-19V supplies, the THD is about 0.001%, and decreases further as the supply voltages approach +/-22V.

- Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/index.html

-

wandelblu said:
Hi!

I have a cd player SONY XA2-ES, It has four opamp NE5532, I'm thinking to change them with OPA2134.

Is it really a good sound improvement?

Can you give me some advices?

Best Regards.
Enzo

I am contemplating opa627s for my scd-c555es. But I need to use adapters and perhaps the soic packaging, which requires soldering SMT components, not a pleasant task. I will post my findings.

I have ever changed my SONY XE600(A very cheap SACD Player and only sold in Japan & Taiwan.) from NJM4565M to OPA2132AU.

It sounds more wide and good in high frequency, but it losts the feeling of Sony; I mean it does not sound like Sony style.

At finally, I use OPA2111. It sounds very suitable for me. But, I think Sony style audio is very special. I will change OPA2111 to 4565 if I can get 4565.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.