23 step attenuator - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2007, 10:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 23 step attenuator

i have learned a lot from the devoted members of this forum. i have also read some good things about the vishay 23 step 90+ resistor attenuator. my question. i have seen some really good military grade switches on the web and wondered if a step attenuator made from one of them might be quite nice. they do not have 23 switching modes but 11-18 in the area we use most would work right??? now how far apart do you normally space the resistor values.
Old 21st May 2007, 10:54 AM   #2
tbr is offline tbr  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Well, I would suggest 3dB is the max. step you can conveniently use. With an 11-step att. this would lead to 30 dB attenuation, if you make the steps even bigger at the ends maybe some more.

With the 18-step one it should already vork well, using 2dB steps in the middle and increasing the steps towards the last 3 or 4 least loudest steps.

Take care that the switches don't have too much conducting material in the signal path, high current units are not the best choice here...
Old 21st May 2007, 12:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

i had read that the vishay switch in the 23 step unit was not of the best quality for repeated use. some of the ceramic switches made for the aerospace industry look to be very well made, inexpensive surplus and compact. i would need a 4 pole unit i assume for stereo use??? how do you suggest i configure the grounds???

Hide this!Advertise here!