relay volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cube X200 Rev 2.0 relay volume control
this is my recent project. now ,under test..

It have two channel, each channel has 8 resistances and relays. means that it only have nine (eigth and one mute) volume steps. but i think it is enough in most condition. controled by the ATmel 89S52 microcontrol with remote and LCD .
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

another view.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

microcontrol chip 89s52

LED & LCD

emothion icon

I think we can get 64 steps by only 6 relays and 6 resistors. If we configure resistors in some parallel that may be realised.
For example;
If you use eight 4K7 on each relays input and when you activate 1st and 2nd relays simulaneously then you have 2K35 input resistance. And also you can set parallel 3rd and fourth and etc by this way.
May this system work? What do you say?

Do a search on Google for 'R-2R ladder network' and you'll see the principle. It's used in D/A convertors. If your audio signal is fed into the ladder network to the same place as the reference voltage is fed in the DAC application, then you'll get a binary-controlled attenuator. Obviously you'll need external logic to ensure that your relays get switched in a binary sequence.

Thanks all above,

here is the draft of the design.

now it worked as Rotary Switch ( 1 switch closed at any time) ,

further, I want to try the "2 switch closed" mode , example , relay K3 and K5 closed (R3,R4 was shorted at this time) ,etc , so , about 20 steps volume control can be done. of course, this need to calculate the value of resistance array carefully.

or mix "1 Switch closed " and "2 Switchesclosed " method to improve this work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.