STK075 or LM1875?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two of these in an old Onkyo TX-1500 ( the little brother to the highly regarded tx-2500.)

Its got great warm sound. I recently beefed up the 4700uf/channel psu with 12,000uf caps in Paralell. It improved it a whole lot, and I swear I gained a few watts before clipping due to reduction of sag.

The key word here is warm: Not that I dont like its sound, the distortion specs for this amp are 15 watts @ .5% THD. This is on +/-20v rails, mine is run on +/-28.4v rails ( as measured) .

The highs can tend to be a bit raspy as compared to some amps. I wonder, would one LM1875 per channel sound good in this thing? And would it sound better? Not sure how much power reserve I have, the transformer isnt too big. I could post a pic to see if anyone has an idea of amperage. I will say that when my amp was hitting its peaks, I measured the sag with the extra caps, and at full clip it was less than .5v

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.