how can bridge my stk amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have a stk4174 chip amp and i before used it for one small subwoofer
but now i want to use it to drive a pioneer 12" 306DVC.
it's a little weak and i want to bridge it but dont know how?
can everybody help me to do that?

i before used eliot's site bridge circuit with TL072 but did not work.
now how can i do that without any circuit board?

STKs are not regarded good sounding and are not prefered nowadays as there are better ICs available. Bridging also reduces the performance. Remember u need to increase the power ten times to hear double the sound.

For a 12inch woofer u have to go for discrete or semi-discrete power amp.

Gajanan phadte

thanks for your answers

but it's sound quality is completely acceptable and i want to drive
one subwoofer with bass filter therefore a stk amp is suitable.
the output power is a little weak and this weakness solvable with
bridging amp because my subwoofer impdance is 8 ohm and with
bridged amp the output power is 4 times stronger and is sufficient
to me.
now what do you think about?

best regards:amir

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I've used a single resistor to bridge STKs and for the frequency range you're talking about, it should work fine. I used it before I knew better, and those amps run full range. It does increase the distprtion on paper, but didn't sound much worse then. I've built better amps since then, but those STKs ran fine bridged into 4 ohm loads from 42 volt supplies.

You can read about that method on Rod's webpage at sound.westhost.com

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The same value as the feedback resistor from output (Rf). Varies from 10K to 47K, though it may be higher or lower. Do you have a schematic of the amp in question? It's quite easy to figure out what it is just by tracing a circuit.

It is the highest value (in resistance) resistor connected to the output (usually there would be just two resistors connected to the output of an STK amp, one is for a Zobel and the other is for feedback, if there is a third resistor it would be a stopper in series with the load with an inductor wound around it). Normally a low wattage type. Without the circuit in front of me I can't really tell you what the exact value is.

Hope that helped...

Also watch, STKs are easy to blow and the way you're planning to use them sets them up for a quality explosion effect. The 4 times power is strictly theoretical, and you will hit the chip's thermal limit much before you hit the 4 times output current. Watch for heat before you turn it up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.