Good head unit without built in amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there a good head unit without built in amplifier and animated dolphins?

I have just bought a car and is currently planning some kind of audio system for it. Nothing too insane but i want it to sound reasonably good. I had planned to use a Dell X51v together with a compact flash to usb converter and an external USB hard drive. However this may not be such a good idea. The disk access from the USB drive will be very CPU heavy since the converter cannot use DMA. I had hoped I could use the PDA for both navigation and music/movies.

Are there any reasonably priced head units without all the extra cwap?

I am very aware that high end HUs will be FAR better than my PDA soundwise, but that is not the primary target anyway. Cmon, its a car. Its noisy. I do not need as good audio quality as in my living room.

I have done a few tests with my PDA and so far I am ok with it. I have started modyfiyng a pair of smallish car amplifiers that will drive my tweeters and mid-woofers with active crossovers. I have contacted a company about making custom transformers but they need some parameters that I am still unsure of. I have contaced Dell and they are very helpful bot I still haven't got the final piece ofthe puzzle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.