Single Voice Coil Vs Double Voice Coil Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks,

I have started this thread for discussion on Subwoofers[SW] with double Voice coil [DC]and Single voice coil....[SC]

Which one is Best

I have tested both types of same brand Pioneer..
DC has 2 VC of 4 ohms each
SC has 1 VC of 4 ohms each

When I connect DC SW with coils in parallel the resulting impedance becomes 2 ohms with my amp, it gets quite hot, whereas upon connecting 2 individual SC SW in parallel with resulting impedance also 2 ohms the same amp doesnot got that much hot...Any ideas why is this happening even when the impedance is same for both setups....

regards,
Kanwar

Perry Babin said:
All else being equal, speakers with larger/stronger magnets produce more back EMF. This makes them harder to drive current into (which means less current flowing from the amplifier for any given signal level). Maybe the system with two magnets is having the same effect as a speaker with a larger magnet.

Thanks Perry, its a good point to be taken into consideration...

assuming that they are both 4 layer coils of the -same height-, another part of the equation would be voice coil wire.

for the dvc, the wire would have to be of higher resistance (smaller gauge) to get 4 ohms at 2 layers.

the svc would probably use a thicker wire to get 4 ohms at 4 layers...to retain the same winding height as the dvc

i suppose this would also determine the gap space between the top plate and voice coil since the wire gauges would be different.

which is kinda confusing because isnt resistance just resistance no matter the material make up?

wouldnt the use of thicker voice coil wire allow for better current flow? hence cooler amp?

ehh, just throwin in my 2 cents, if im wrong please correct me.

Are you pushing the woofers equally hard? Speakercones usually loose efficiency the harder they are pushed so if you are playing equally loud (loud meaning LOUD) two woofers will need less power.

Are the enclusures for the DVC woofers of the same size and tuning as SVC woofer?

The electromechanic system of two SVC woofers vs on DVC is very different, so someone with good understanding of how such a system work could probably tell us why you are experiencing what you are.

Two DVC woofers will have double mass, double piston area, double cooling of VC's. I would guess that one DVC woofer pushed to the same SPL as two SVC woofers will have much more reactive loading of the amp.

space

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.