Nak mb-70 dead ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
*Sigh* why do I get all the fun repairs.

Ok, I have a nakamichi mb-70 that 'appears' dead.
It lights up but thats all.
After selecting cdc on headunit, first I get 'no mag' (yes there are no disc's in it) then it gives me 'error'.

Where do I start ?

Unit appears mint and unmolested, no obvious (visual) problems.
I'm guessing a component failure but without any info where oh where do I start ??????????

It's stuck!
Hard to describe how to repair as there are a bunch of ways it jams up. Try to push the slider (on top) back and forth, it should start the cams rolling and you can put it back into the unloaded position. There is a small brass gear inside the disc shuffle mech that needs to be turned over. When it was punched out, one side has a curve and one flat. The flat should be facing away from the metal. I will try to post a picture later of where it is.

Martin

See if I can help here.

Pic from front.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 93
Yes.
I know the feeling.

Anyway, I've had a major win.
After 'playing' with those gears you mentioned it started to make some noises.
Not quite fixed but a start.
(couldn't see that brass gear you mentioned though)

I also found that the soldering on a connector (one over in the front corner, has a circuit ribbon that feeds down the side) was a bit suss.
After resoldering that, it sprung to life.
So Yay it works.

Even though it's now working I would still love to hear/see what you are trying to post.

Thanks for all your help.

The brass gear is under the spot marked in red, deep inside the stacker. Use a microscope to solder the flatwire connector as the solder the factory used is too soft. Make sure the pickup tray is fully to the edge and the tray full down before power up.

Martin

Attachments

• top1.jpg
    top1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 61
Ta muchly.
Yes it's a small connector.

Times like that when I wish I still had access to a smd rework air pencil.

With a bit of care I managed with a small tip and the 'hot air tip' from a weller pyropen.

I see now why I couldn't see that gear.

Will have a dig for it tomorrow.
right now I'm a bit wobbly after a pethidine shot for a kidney stone.
Hate stones, love pethidine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.