Pyle car speaker reviews.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pyle seems to have everything between low end and "pro" stuff and weak reviews on any of it on the Internet. I couldn't find a single reviews on what I'm looking at.

I wanted to upgrade from stock speakers in a Corolla. The stock head unit will be used since it has a 6 disk CD changer in it, but I wanted to upgrade the speakers with the best matched speakers that would be a major upgrade (speakers from wal-mart would probably be a upgrade), but not go overkill and match up speakers that would be a wast of money to match up to the stock head unit.

A external amp will probably be used, but I don't know how good or bad the signal for the stock unit is.

Anyway, I was looking at these.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=267-727

Trying to find a middle road and a simple budget. It's for a Corolla, so I'm not going to throw wods of cash at it.

what year corrolla?

if its a newer one, fujitsu ten makes the radios for them, they also make eclipse.

i just did a 98 toyota suv with stock radio using line convertors and stock speakers....as long as you adjust the hi-pass crossover
correctly, you wllil be really surprised at what the stock system can do once amplified....the weal link is tweeters, youll need to add some...

but if you use the stock radio and stock speakers, you can save money for subs and amp.

you will be surprised by the stock system....if it is a newer model.

anyway i did this setup for a friend of mine and we were both like :eek: after we hooked everything up....he has a pair of tens in there too.

After some more looking (thanks for the Fujitsu info, it helped me find this), it looks like I have the Panasonic / Matsushita deck.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/toyota.htm

Is there a chance in hell, it could have RCA outputs? From what I've read, the Corolla for my year had a JBL upgrade option. I'm hoping that the deck would have RCA outputs for a amp.

Any ideal how I could find out? This is the first time that I've ever wanted to reuse the factory stereo. My wife loves the CD changer. We just need better sound out of it.

you have to pull the deck and look at the back of the radio...

if you get confused by all the wires on the back and have a hard time telling which is which....in order to install the LOC;

you can look at the wire colors at the door speakers, this means you have to pull off the door panels (i know this sucks), but the wire colors will be there...and they will be the same as on the back of the radio.
------------------------------------------
take the wire colors from the front speakers, both sides...sometimes the back speakers dont have the same colors as on the back of the radio.
-----------------------------------------
running a 'remote turn on' wire to the new amp may be kinda tough, you have to find the wire that energizes when the key is in the 'acc' position...

there will be a wire for the power antennae coming from the radio, but you dont want this one...because when you turn off the tuner and play a cd...theres a good chance that wire will stop energizing....because the antennae is not needed while playing a cd....

installing a switch is the easiest way to go, if your fusebox is inside...you can find the fuse for the radio, and slip a small wire between the fuse and insertion slot, then gently push the fuse back into place...then put a switch on it.
-------------------------------------------
id recommend putting an extra set of tweeters with the stock speakers also.....it helps alot

I know pulling the deck would tell me. ;) I was wanting to take more of a research attack on it though.

Mainly, because I'm not looking forward to working with newer car (toyota) plastic clips and what not. Our roof got some hail damage and even the body shop is having trouble getting the clips for the sun visor right. They've broke the originals and still some how managed to break one new one. Eeeek.

The wires and work is not the problem. I've installed a few stereo's in the past and even hard wired a few without using install kits. I'm not looking forward to working on a 05 Corolla. I'm sure a few screws are used in some places, but they love the plastic clips that can break if not very carefully and properly removed. One mistake could cost a lot of money.

installing a switch is the easiest way to go, if your fusebox is inside...you can find the fuse for the radio, and slip a small wire between the fuse and insertion slot, then gently push the fuse back into place...then put a switch on it.

Alternatively, a fuse could be found that only supplies power when the car is turned on--eliminating the need for a switch.

As for the pre-outs on your factory deck, it's possible to search out your receiver on ebay, and check out the seller's pics (they usually have pics of the rear of the decks), or even just ask the seller. But I'm 99.9% sure your stereo does not have RCA outs as I've never seen a factory stereo with pre-outs to this date.

There are much better speakers out there for the price of those Pyles...if ebay is an option, you might consider a pair of Infinity Reference's or Kappas, or, (and this would be the best as you don't have plans for a sub) Pioneer speakers. An excellent amplifier would be a PPI power or art series (they're around $100 or less on ebay for your power requirements) and they're some of the best amps made (check out the PC250 and PC2300 for starters), and still outperform many modern amps by a long shot. Alpine is a good second choice if you don't like to buy used, as well as Rockford Fosgate.

When I was a younger lad I heard a pair of Pyle Drivers on the back deck of a bud's car. They kicked some serious ***! I never forgot that.

I just bought 6 Pyles (4 - 6x9 PLG69.5 and 2 - 6.5" PLG6.4) to replace the stock Chrysler Infinitys that came with my '94 van. I'm running them off a Sony GT210 HU (4x50 Watts, 17 Watts RMS per channel). I paid about $100.00 for all six from Audio Warehouse Express. All told, including the Sony CD/Radio HU, my brand new system ran just over $200.00.

I couldn't be happier!! Thumping, seat-vibrating bass with clear, crisp highs and no distortion that I can detect. They were a bit of a hump to install, even though they were "stock" size. The baskets are a bit beefier and the stock holes were just too small. Overall, the whole project took me about 6 hours, but that was with all the recutting and filing. There were no installation instructions in the boxes and it took me awhile to figure out the assembly, but a lot of that had to do with my vehicle. It's a conversion van that had finished wood speaker grilles. I didn't want to lose the wood look, so I cut appropriately sized and shaped holes in them and used them as bases for the new Pyles. I assembled the speakers and grilles right to those and then screwed the whole assembly to the doors and rear wall panels.

For the money, I'd go with the Pyles.

Dan V.

Pioneer?

Have you thought about these? I just saw them in PE's flyer 2 or 3 days ago and they look pretty good but I have never heard of anyone using them. There also on sale!! Always a plus. They might not be as loud as you want but they look like they can hold their own, definitely if you are using a stock head unit. Might be a little more pricey but look real nice.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=267-292

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.