pro audio 12 volt conversion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2007, 10:52 PM   #1
LEESTER is offline LEESTER  United States
diyAudio Member

Default pro audio 12 volt conversion

I have searched different forums to find out how to convert a rack mount equalizer from 110 volt to 12 volt. Can anyone help with a quick explanation? how much work will it be to convert ?
Old 20th February 2007, 04:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Are these Rane EQ's. I have the pdf file for that. Anybody else it might depend.
Any name brands you have in mind ?

Most all Op-amp based EQ's will need + & - 15 volts to 18 volts depending on the design and chips used.

A really cheap way is to get one of the cleaner 12 to 110 converters, and power it up through a bosch style relay. They handle about 20 to 30 amps and thats is way more power then the EQ's will draw.

Look at the back of the EQ's for the power consumption. It will be in the range of15 to 45 watts at 110 VAC. Thats pretty much nothing.

Other than that your looking a finding DC to DC converters like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0773&rd=1&rd=1

This is a wide input range DC to DC converter. It works from 9 volts to 18 volts in and delivers + & - 15 volts regulated output possibly with enough current to run one EQ.

I have also seen stacked battery supplies, but ground might have issues with that depending on who made you equipment.

Hope this helps
Old 20th February 2007, 05:06 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

These are from two Rane equalizers. The one showing the PCB was taken out of its case just to have a look at what's inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dc2dc 001.jpg (95.2 KB, 766 views)
Old 20th February 2007, 05:08 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I don't know if this is the part number...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dc2dc 002.jpg (96.6 KB, 690 views)
Old 20th February 2007, 07:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by razirafi
I don't know if this is the part number...

Looks like a modular DC to DC converter to me Nice pics THX
Old 20th February 2007, 09:07 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

You might want to look out for an old Alesis graphic, IIRC, they came with a 12V wall wart.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 20th February 2007, 11:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I spent some time researching this conversion last night with very little success, This is not the first time this forum has helped me out. I bought a cheap samson E62, I'm not sure on the specs, but it's cheap enough that I can experiment on. I want to power it the cleanest way I can. This will be for a SQ car, and I need to hook it up before Spring Break nationals. An EQ was one of the main things I was missing last year, and I just couldn't fork over the cash for a 12 volt equivalent. Please keep an eye on this thread as I intend to update it with some additional pictures once I receive the unit.
thanks
Old 20th February 2007, 08:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Have you checked out the 31 band Phoenix Gold EQ's on e-bay lately. I saw one go for $85.00 + shipping. These are pretty nice EQ's. I own 4 of them 2 in use, and 2 black face spare. Look for EQ 230 or similar.
They have line drive capability, and seem to be well built, with clip indicators and drive level indicators.
There really isn't much better electronics in most of those other units available after market.
Old 20th February 2007, 10:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I've been tracking a few of those eq's as well, I've used Audio Control numerous times, and I was also thinking of using the new 360 from RF. I guess The challenge of something different appealed to me, also the rack equip just looks cool.
Old 21st February 2007, 02:05 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Do you remember way back when PPI and Orion had 5 pin DIN plugs on all their EQ's and modules ?

Well inside that DIN cable and plug was + & - 15 volts DC to power all their outboard devices.

Every car amp I see has + & - 15 inside for its op-amp input section. By adding a few turns of wire you could boost its current capacity and then add 3 terminal regulators inside the amps to give you you needed DC power for your EQ's.

But if your not good inside of a amp please have someone that is adept perform these mods, as its not as simply as it looks and sounds, but it is very possible.

Good luck

Hide this!Advertise here!