Old School favorites go bad while I'm out of school...HELP!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used to sell/install high-end audio in late 80s and early 90s and stockpiled a bunch of stuff I knew I wanted to build a system out of...never did get components, though. Now that I find myself finally nearing an install on it, I need to find out what the hell has been going on with the front-stage part of the industry the last 10 years...I come back to find lots of companies/lines that have sold or cratered in quality, etc.

Speaking strictly from a front-stage standpoint and from what I've gathered, it looks like Morel and Dynaudio are still themselves, but a/d/s, Diamond and Boston Acoustics have fallen off. What has happened with Oz, clif and any other lines? Who are Rainbow, CDT and DLS? Any other recommendations? What is the current stance on Image Dynamics and/or compression drivers?

For reference, here's what I have ready to go in. Please note that all Soundstream is prior to their move to Blue Ravine, CA so they could throw all the bad product they started making into the ravine itself when it came back from the customer. :D

• Soundstream Class A 10.0 amplifier to push (4) Soundstream SS-10R Velvet Hammers
  • Soundstream Class A Picasso amplifiers (2) for front stage
  • Alpine DigitalMax fiber-linked head-end
  • -- 1310 Receiver/controller
  • -- 5959s CD shuttle (quad Burr Browns)
  • -- 3681 Time & Freq Processor
  • -- 3362 EQ-XOver-Ambiance Processor

I'm looking to match some components to this that will help me achieve an accurate, neutral-to-warm sound quality system that can still show balls on serious bass lines.

Any help would be appreciated!
  • adsf
  • wer
  • gads

Dls are Swedish company who showed up in the early 90`s
with Norwegian and French made drivers (seas and Focal) packaged in boxes proudly stating "Handmade in Sweden"

(i lived in Sweden back then and had the oppournity to handle some of their first products and did personally see Seas stamps on their "Handmade in Sweden" bass/midranges and the unmistakable Polykevlar drivers from Focal as ditto 8 and 10" subs)

Later they started to buy Morel drivers and selling them the same way. but this metod was probably not profitable enough so they stopped buying drivers from Morel, but somehow continued selling sligthly modyfied drivers looking exactly like the former, claiming they made them themselves (DLS doesent own any Swedish factories so my guess is China)

It does also seem like they gave amps from Genesis the same treatment.

Conclution: decent to very good products, but i have seen indications that suggests that Morel still walks all over their drivers, and does it cheaper too.

And as you migth have guessed, i dont like their business moral

Rainbow is a german speaker brand.
They have some nice speakers, but I suppose only vanadium line and higher might be good enough for you.

May have a look at Microprecision (http://www.micro-precision.eu/)

they build high end caraudio speaker
most speakers are modified speakers from other brands
for example scanspeak tweeters

and may look for Andrian Audio (http://www.andrian-audio.de)
Mr. Anselm Andrian is a famous speaker guru

both brands offer some of the best sounding speakers worldwide

If you can afford that kind of equipment, why not just stick with Dynaudio or Morel? I like DLS, but think you have to go with their higher end stuff if you want to put that much power into it. Myself, I wish I had the money to go with all dynaudios--the mids I have in my rears (mw162?) are very warm and do better on the bass than a car door can do justice to.

FE3T: How can I tell if my DLS mids that look exactly like Morels are really made by Morel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.