What is the soldering iron/station of your choice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you plan to have your soldering iron turned on a few hours a day or less, I would recommend the Weller's WTCPT.

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/CF_Files/model_detail.cfm?upc=037103001146

It's available here in Canada for around 140$CAN (around 120$US) and there's a wide selection of tips for it

I doubt you would ever need a better soldering station. (As long as it's for personal use)

On a side note, I have a Weller 921ZX temperature controlled station which is less "industrial" but I'm very satisfied of it. However, I doubt it is still available so WTCP should be a wise choice.

Good luck !

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/CF_Files/model_detail.cfm?upc=037103191311

I have 2 of these. I leave them on all day (sometimes 18 hours) with no ill effects. The tips last a very long time even running constantly at the highest temperature. The temperature is adjustable for times when you need to reduce the temp to prevent damage to components.

If you buy this iron, get one of each tip. It is shipped with an ETA tip. Get an ETB and ETC. The ETA is a pointed tip. The ETC is the widest. The ETB is the most useful for me but I use them all.

When changing the tip, be sure to switch the iron off to prevent damaging the heater.

I have done a lot of soldering, and I have no problems with my cheapo Radioshack solder station. It has a hi-40watt / lo-20 or 25watt setting switch and a iron holder. That's it and it works fine for me. $25 or so. I've been using it moderately for 2 years now.

I would like a big fancy adjustable station (who wouldn't) but it's just not neccesary for replacing mosfets etc... SMD components may have some trouble with those, but doubt it.

Only complaint is that it burns through the tips pretty quickly. However RadioShack also carries the replacement tips in an assortted size package for like $6 -$10.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.