Ear Fatigue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So i just redid my entire system in my 300M. Here is what i have:
1. Front Sails and rear doors i have JBL GTO220 with their included corssovers.
2. those speakers are connected to my JL E4200 ( I think thats the model).
3. In the front door 6.5" I have a pair of Phase audio Tube drivers. No crossover.
4. In the rear deck i modded some Ascendant audio high excursion 6.5" mids. I have them turned down as to not distract from front stage.
5. all 4 of the 6.5" speakers are connected to a infinity REF7541A amp.
6. I have a eclipse TI 10" sub powered by an infinity 611A.
7. All of this is divided channel wise and crossover wise by a "California" crossover with variable crossover points.
8. I am using a stock GPS headunit. I am getting the signal by using a "David Navone" high level to low level converter.

I have no speakers set on the same freq on the crossover and no overlaps of the frequencies. I have run new speaker wire for every speaker everywhere.

My problem is that i get allot of ear fatigue when playing at moderate to loud situations. I get it quite quickly actually. at low levels its perfectly fine.

Any idea why? could it have something to do with the sails having crossovers on them? they need the crossover as they are actually a midwoofer and a tweeter in a coax setup.

If anyone has any suggestions i would love to hear them.

Thanks allot for the help!

It's possible [probable] that the stock headunit has a lot of EQing built in to help the cheap stock speakers sound how they should. Now that you have some decent speakers instead, that EQing is actually hurting your sound, creating peaks in the FR that you shouldn't have. Do you have an EQ? If not you might consider investing in one, either that or one of the several LOCs that have the ability to tune out any factory EQing themselves (cleansweep is one example, but there are more).

wow never thought of that. thats a good idea, the headunit is i bet doin it.

I should beable to borrow my boss's sudio testing equipment and see if i cant locate the problem areas. and EQ would be an excellent thing to have, just need to learn how to use and optimize using them.

Thanks for the suggestion.

mm no i dont think I have it up that loud to where it should be causing this. I dont like LOUD i like a little bit of volume.

and the sub is more then capable. i usually have it turned down as its overpowering. its in a sealed box with about 700watts rms max to it. i don't turn it up as it has started to make my ca vibrate apart. I am soon to cover everything with some Edead and secure the panels better to remedie that.

I have drilled "port holes" in my rear deck and put some port flared in them to make it look nice. it allows a little more bass and bass definition through insted of all of it going through the back seat.

i had a similar problem for a week which i just remedied today.

i have 2 sets of dish tweeters one set plays a higher tone and the other a lower tone. both are 1" dome textiles.

first i had the hgher tone dishes on the sails, harsh and fatigueing after a short time...the other dishes were at the kicks.

i switched the lower tone dishes to the sails and everything was much better. i can turn it full volume all day long and wont get ear fatigue...and now it sounds soooooo damn good....

before i switched them around, i tried a variety of capacitor values to set the cut in frequencies..

i tried 2.2...3.3...4.7...5.8...6.8uf

the lower the value the harsher it would be, the 5.8 and 6.8 worked the best..but at the end of the day, it ended up being the actual speakers...

imo...speakers that have a higher pitch sould be farther away eg; especially the ones on the a pillar.

Thanks for the heads up, i cant really choose where the speakers are mounted, so maybe i should mess with different crossover combos to see what happens.

I am still going to get an EQ some time but just dont have the funds for one that would actually do what i want.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.