orion 2250sx amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
need help! im a complete noobie... i have a orion 2250sx amp that just stopped workin ,, so i opened it up and had one of the fuses popped i replaced it and as soon i turned it on it popped.. so my question is what could be wrong with it... any help would be appreciated thank you...

jokerz2- You mentioned "need help! im a complete noobie..." and Perry replied.

Being new you may not realize how much knowledge and experience he has and that if you do precisely as he says, you will have the amp back up and working in no time.

Do a few searches on his name and you will soon find out your lucky to be in such good hands.

Best of luck on it.

The output transistors are the components clamped to the heatsink adjacent to the large green resistors (likely red/yellow/silver/gold bands).

Set the meter to ohms. Touch one lead to the center terminal and the other the the right-most terminal. If any read near 0 ohms, it's likely defective. If you find 5 that seem to be shorted (zero ohms), it's likely that only one is shorted. You'll probably have to unsolder them to find the defective one. If only one is defective, you can solder the other 4 back in to test the amp for further defects.

Before applying power, you must clamp the transistors tightly to the sink. When applying power, use a 10 amp fuse in the power line.

To remove the clamps, use the procedure shown in the attached image.

Attachments

• orionampclamps01.gif
    orionampclamps01.gif
    27.3 KB · Views: 188
Not trying to thread jack but i also have a orion 2250 sx, it just burnt a resistor pretty bad, i cant tell what the value of it is, does anybody happen to have the schematics for the amp or have the amp and are willing to open it up and take some pics of the board, i can post a pic of the board if it will help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.