looking for old ESX Amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"ESX was conceived in 1996 and we built only one run for them and then they went belly up. The amps I designed for ESX were way too advanced for the car stereo market."

I have been inside the ESX amps and I saw nothing different from any other ZED amp.
Don't get me wrong the four channel I saw a few months ago was a fine example of ZED, down to the little hybrid black modules he used in Autotek, Hifonics and others, but all ZED and fairly typical.. I must of missed the too advanced part when I was repairing it :rolleyes:

If you don't know the features on these amps, they can be confusing. There is one function that can't be changed while the amp is on. There's another setting that won't engage unless the previous feature is set to the proper mode. Without the owner's manual, it's difficult to know for sure if it's working properly.

I have been inside the ESX amps and I saw nothing different from any other ZED amp.
Don't get me wrong the four channel I saw a few months ago was a fine example of ZED, down to the little hybrid black modules he used in Autotek, Hifonics and others, but all ZED and fairly typical.. I must of missed the too advanced part when I was repairing it :rolleyes:

Cutra, you're not gonna take this are you ? :warped:

I had an ESX Q120.4. Very powerful clean amp ! You defenitely need the owners manual to know the settings. These amps are power hungry !

Cutra, you're not gonna take this are you ? :warped:

I had an ESX Q120.4. Very powerful clean amp ! You defenitely need the owners manual to know the settings. These amps are power hungry !

Yup that's the amp I repaired. As I recall it had a hybrid located inside each vertical riser driver card. Other then that it was all ZED standard issue. Oh and yes it draws a ton a power cause it has four very high powered channels in a very minimalist case design very similar to the Hifonics products which used vari- power power supply's to limit dissipation issues. Something I did not see in this four channel amp ( Possibly Hifonics proprietary), So I would say it would also have over heating issues to a user that ran it close to full output all the time.
Some fool had run the one I repaired to subs thus damaging all four channels very well before dumping it on a auction site to a friend of mine...The things people will do to a amplifier...:eek:

Oh, I never said it was a junk amp, I just said I NEVER saw anything "Special" about it...And I have just about seen them all inside and out over the last 30 years or so...:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.