Any bored custom amp builders need a project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All-

I have long used the Orion amps (280GX, 275SX and 2125SX) along with a servo controller from Mr. Erath. Together as a pair they work great but I think I'm in the need for simpler installs I would like to have an "Orion like" amp made with the servo controller built in.

The servo controller bridges the Orion amps so a single channel amp, or a "2.1 or 4.1" channel amp would be ideal.

Currently I have to install the a/d/s/ P640.2, the Orion SX2125 and the servo controller. What a mess and hassle. I know it could be done better and simpler.

Any takers, and about how much would a "one off" 4.1 channel amp cost? I can care less about cosmetics but SQ and durability are a must.

I know this is TOTALLY amateur but I was thinking of trying my hand at a four LM3886 chip amp for the front and then only have to "get creative" for the woofer channel.

Attachments

• dsc00509vsps.jpg
    dsc00509vsps.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 248
I've built several Rockford Fosgate Power 300's from the same era as those old school Orions. I used to run the original 250HCCA back in 1988 I think, maybe '89. Anyway, doing small runs is rather uneconomical. I'd say I costs a couple hundred dollars per unit to produce PCB's and purchase the parts. The heatsinks are rather expensive too, if you can even find a suitable piece. It'd be a cinch to "meld" your pieces into a single amp, but finding the same parts without resorting to substitutions would likely be impossible. I know a lot of the original pieces for my 300's aren't available today.

I was hoping.. I will continue to do some research..

One suggestion was but a 275SX or 2125SX and the controller in a 2150 case.. But if your going to dream, why not try to get a 4.1 in a single chassis.

I have some heat sinks that would work, and don't even mind fan cooling since it will be in the trunk / cargo area..

Honestly! the LM3886 will do ~ 50 watts RMS , thats more than enough power in a car. I have had 6x9's in my car when running off a 20 watt rms /channel receiver ( run on an inverter) that blew away several of my friends subs! They could not believe that 20 watts could out do a 200 watt 10" sub. This is probably because of modern car amplifiers being over rated, but still at 200 watts with their ratings you could probably expect 60 watts RMS. Take that times two with the Lm3886, into two speakers making more surface area than a single 10" and you have a very good combination! The receiver was a 1970's onkyo tx1500. Sounds kinda hokey to have a home receiver in your car, but it shows what a low wattage amp can do. I now am working on having a proper amp in my car...

I would seriously look into some efficient 6x9's, or even go component route, with a 6x9 woofer, and seperate mid/tweeter for ultra high quality sound. It saves space and puts way less strain on a car's electrical system, and is just plain easier to do. Its also fun to amaze your friends with your "low output" amplifier that blows away most head units and some sub combos.

Just a thought ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.