Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2006, 10:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 14v / 16v

I'd like to run 16V for my subwoofer amplifier while keeping the rest of the car at @ 14.4V.Is there an easy way to do this?
Old 27th December 2006, 05:57 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

And you think this will do what for your system ?
Old 27th December 2006, 09:17 PM   #3
Jexx is offline Jexx  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jexx
Quote:
Originally posted by justonemoreamp
And you think this will do what for your system ?
Yeah, really, chances are the sub amp has a regulated PSU; consequently upping the voltage would be pointless.
Old 28th December 2006, 09:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Adassa Audio The Warlord.....Non-regulated.The more volts you give it the more watts it gives back.5,000W RMS @ 14.4V/5,900W @ 16V.At 18 V it's over 7,000W RMS.
Old 28th December 2006, 12:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

For the cost of a DC-DC converter that will do what your asking; your better off buying a high current alternator..... or two or three.

I guarantee as it stands right now, when your pushing the amp at full volume your electrical system is dropping way below 14v. I bet if you measured the voltage at the amp it would be around 11v; if not lower.

Think about it, for 5,000w @ 14.4v your alternator needs to provide nearly 400A of current. I doubt it does 1/8 of that at idle.
Old 28th December 2006, 01:29 PM   #6
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

What a joke. There's no way that box can provide 7 KW to a speaker.
Why don't you just wire in a fake box and tell everyone that it's an amp and you're getting a bazillion watts from it. If you can reach the threshold of pain with your system, no one can hear any louder anyway.
Old 28th December 2006, 02:50 PM   #7
sss is offline sss  Israel
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sss

its much easier to change the whole power supply in that amp then stepping up the voltage from 14 to 16 , and then again stepping it up (by the amp)
Old 28th December 2006, 10:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Astaroth
Adassa Audio The Warlord.....Non-regulated.The more volts you give it the more watts it gives back.5,000W RMS @ 14.4V/5,900W @ 16V.At 18 V it's over 7,000W RMS.

OK another SPL'er

You can look up 12 volt regulaters on the web. Several companies make them including US amps (Ithink they still make them) I see them e-bay every once in a while. And yes they have them up to 5KW output as I remember, possibly more for you special folks.

I guess in your case you could stack them . I believe they were outlawed by IASCA a while back but your probably not into that groups rulings as your SPL'er...
You know if you really need 16 volts buy seperate battery cells and stack your own to 16 volts. It will need its own seperate alternator to charge it set up to a higher output, but it sounds like you have money to burn, so it should be no big deal.
The 12 volt booster regulaters will cost you probably more than the amp did, but thats because they see you coming lol lol lol.

Good luck lol lol lol

PS why dont you stack the amps and run a 18 wheeler 24 volt system. It might be cheaper, and it will sure be more efficient on copper wire usage. I have seen a few 24 volt stereo systems, and its the way to go, "Loud As Fxxx" and thats all you really care about anyway, right?
Old 28th December 2006, 10:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'll admit I used to be into the SPL scene. I would compare my interest in it to that of drag racing or a monster truck rally; completely pointless events meant to display the shear power of the machines.

I quite hanging around with the SPL folk quite some time ago. It doesn't take long to realize 99% of them are just brainless knuckleheads on an ego trip.
Old 29th December 2006, 01:25 AM   #10
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theAnonymous1
... It doesn't take long to realize 99% of them are just brainless knuckleheads on an ego trip.
Would the thread starter care to comment?

Hide this!Advertise here!