Rockford Punch 501S defect

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I have a problem with a Rockford Punch 501S.
I think the transformer is defect. When I messure between the plus terminal and the minus terminal of the amplifire the measuring instrument will show me 3 Ohm. I think that is not enough.
The transistors of the power supply are ok.
I will from solder the transformer and make the messure again between the plus and minus terminal. When it is high, I know the transformer is defect.
Know my question, where can I get a new Transformer? I am from germany and Rockford germany are not so helpfull.

Is it possible to get it from UK, NL oder USA or else?

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4592/trafo1rf501sfa2.jpg

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7162/traforf501sib1.jpg

Regards Jörg

Rockford Fostage Punch 501S defekt

Hello DigitalJunkie, my english is not so good.
I prepair it with plastic spray. The name is plastik 70 kontakt. It is for industrie,radar,Tv, radio and so one. But it doesn´t help.

The mysterium is, that the amplifier worked, before I put some spray on the transformer. After that the amplifier make that mistake.
But when you watched the picture I think the transformer must have a defect, because some wires looked very bad. Or what do you think?

Regards Jörg

I downloaded your pic and Zoomed it up and your definitly short on the toroid.
You have two choices at this point.

1: Call Rockford corp and try and buy one.

Or

2: pull this one off the board and re-wind it or repair its windings with insulating varnish.

How much is your time worth ? Perhap you can find one on E-bay for cheap parts.

Good luck on your project :)

If you can't get another one, rewind it (as was suggested before).

Measure the wire diameter with a dial micrometer. Find the equivalent gauge (there's a chart on page 16 of my car audio site). Take many photos of the original windings and take additional photos after each winding is removed (from multiple angles). When rewinding it, lay the windings down 'precisely' as they have them.

If you have trouble finding the wire, try shops that rebuild electric motors and/or alternators. They won't likely have all of the various colors so you'll need to be careful when you reinstall it. You should use an ohm meter to verify that the windings are going to the correct points.

Make sure that the wire is well stripped. Industrial wire won't likely be 'solder strippable' so you'll have to scrape the insulation off with a knife. Be careful not to make any deep cuts into the copper when stripping it.

Rockford Fostage Punch 501S defekt

Thank you all for your help. But I think, I am not able to repair it, because something different happened last evening. I messure the IRF 3205 MOSFET in the power supply. One of these MOSFET is crasy. Sometimes I messure 0 Ohm and sometimes I messure the correct value. I messure with a multimeter with the diode tester. 450 and 800 are the value of the three other MOSFETs.
And sometimes the fourth MOSFETs shows me zero or sometimes 450 and 800 between the three connection of the MOSFET.

I don´t know what kind of mistake it is. And the horrible thing what is, that the MOSFET are clogging on the heatsink. And the tin-solder is not easy to get up.
I think this amplifier is to hard for me.
--------------------------------------------
Sorry for the bad english, but it is not easy to find the right english words for the german words for example I don´t know the english word for LÖTSTATION;Entlötlitze

But so on, I wish you all a very happy Christmas and a good start in the new year 2007. Regards from germany

Jörg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.