subs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sub's

hi im wondering if anyone out there can point me in the right direction i had a colossus xi 2400 watts rms running to 4 12" kicker solo baric's L5 series the older ones and it sounded loud but for 4 12's didnt impress me that much so i sold the subs and i bought a hifonics colossus xx 3200 watts rms i wanna run 4 12's or whatever it takes to have it be loud as hell someone told me the hifonics atlas subs model number as12sqd4 would beat kicker solo x subs wondering if theese atlas subs are all that or wondering what kinda sub is out there that will do the trick for me be very loud like 4 12" 2 15' 2 18" whatever what subs will do the best for me so when i turn it up for someone its all that im looking to spend around 1000 maybe a lil more if needed for the subs i would even do 8 12" subs if that will work better for me if someone could let me know what subs they would recomend i would greatly appericate it something that doesnt need a massive box i have my old box which is 2.82 cubic ft per sub for 4 12" im gonna build a differnt box but somewhere around that or smaller would work great so wondering what subs are kick butt

Help With Subs

Im wondering what subs would work the best for me?

I had a colossus xi amp 2400 watts rms running 4 kicker solo baric L5 subs. IT was loud but didnt really impress me that much at all. I went out an bought a colossus XX amp 3200 watts rms.
So i am wondering what subs would work for me. Im thinking of running 4 12" subs again or whatever would get me to where i wanna be. What i am looking for is very loud spl levels. Ive heard hifonics atlas subs will beat the new kicker solo x subs is this true or just bull? Wondering if anyone out there can point me in the right direction on choosing new subs for my amp? Whats your opions on some really good subs that will produce high spl levels and make me notice a big difference between theese new subs and the old solo barics i use to have. So if anyone could let me know what subs i would want in my system please let me know.

As far as how much i wanna spend is anything up to 1000 (thousand )

If 2400 watts didn't do it, 3200 wasn't going to do it for you. The difference would barely be audible. Unless your vehicle has zero cabin gain, or your woofers and enclosure are extremely inefficient, this system should be very loud (painfully loud). If you don't think your woofers are up to the task, try Digital Designs woofers.

If you didn't buy a scope yet, you can get a nice used one for ~$200. That leaves $800 for woofers. :)

hi thanks perry for your help im gonna run 4 12" digital designs subs wondering though what do i build the box out of i usually use 3/4" mdf but someone told me all the mdf is good for is making designs in it with a router and tols me to use 3/4" cabinet grade birch is this what i wanna use instead of the mdf??

In my opinion, MDF is perfectly suitable for enclosures unless weight is a problem (as it may be for speaker enclosures in the bow/cabin of boats).

Whatever you use, you will need significant bracing. I like to use dowels to lock opposite sides together (the most effective form of bracing to stop panel flex). Dowels don't significantly effect air flow and are perfectly suited for this purpose.

When you have the panels cut, lay the opposing panels on top of one another and drill through both at the same time. This will insure that the holes line up when the box is assembled.

You'll need to lay out the holes so that no dowels touch or intersect. You'll also need to make sure that they will clear the speaker.

You'll likely use T-nuts or similar fasteners. Locate them as close as possible to the dowels that connect the baffle to the rear of the enclosure. The dowels don't need to be as close to the speaker cutout as shown but they shouldn't be too far outside of the frame of the speaker.

For a system like yours, I'd use 1" dowels (1/2" are shown in the photo below). Oak dowels are likely stronger than standard dowels but either should be fine. If you're concerned about strength, you can use all-thread rod but it's much harder to work with.

Attachments

• speakerboxdoweltogethernopolyfordiy.jpg
    speakerboxdoweltogethernopolyfordiy.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 141
its not all about big subs and more amps its all about the design of the box, tuning and the vehicle its going in and also what signal your feeding it. if the 4 kickers wasn’t loud man it wasn’t set up correctly, we run one 12” L7 2006 model on 800w rms and its so loud you can't hear someone shout and it rattles the room next door through brick it was professionally setup and tuned, we sell a lot of the kickers because the one we setup is loud:D

the dd subs should be better

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.