Old School Orion 2150 gx.I must repair this amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 13th December 2006, 12:52 AM   #1
spooney is offline spooney  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Old School Orion 2150 gx.I must repair this amp

I have an old shcool orion 2150 gx. awesome amp from what I hear. I know orion used to make some great stuff.I'd love to get this thing working again.When it was given to me originally I believe it would turn on but had no output.As far as I can remember I don't think it even will power on anymore.I am a total noob to this game.I have a basic understanding of electronics but I am totally lost when it comes to troubleshooting this type of stuff.I wanna get this amp rolling but I have no idea where to start.Can anyone possibly lend a helping hand?

Old 13th December 2006, 02:00 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Are there any visible signs of damage?

Old 13th December 2006, 02:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

none what so ever. it looks damn near brand new

Old 13th December 2006, 02:26 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

If it has a TL494 (or tl594) in the supply, you need to connect it to a power source (including remote) via a 5-10 amp fuse (nothing larger) and measure the voltage on 'each' pin of the TLx94 IC. Do not let your leads short between pins. Black lead on chassis ground. Meter on DC volts.

Look up the datasheet for the IC if you don't know how the pins are numbered.

If there is no TLx94 IC, you may need to post some good quality photos.

Old 13th December 2006, 02:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'll have to get some pics for you because I have no idea what your referring to.Could you give a description of what this particular part may look like?This amp has never had any end caps or bottom plate as long as i have had it. I myself do not know what color wires apply to what speaker channel and or remote turn on lead.I know that there is the obvious power and ground cables as well as a yellow,orange,blue,and two or maybe three other black wires.It is very possible the person I got it from hooked it up wrong and hurt something.

Old 13th December 2006, 02:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The IC would look like this but may be in a different location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_1444b.jpg (85.1 KB, 762 views)

Old 13th December 2006, 11:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

its not a pic of my amp but the amp on the page in this link is identical to mine if it helps any. I see a few ics but I don't believe any of them to be the one you posted.

Old 14th December 2006, 07:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

That amp doesn't use an IC to drive the power supply and can be difficult to troubleshoot. There's a large resistor next to a small transformer near the far side of the amp. With the amp on, is there any DC voltage across it?

There is a lone transistor near the transformer and resistor, measure the DC voltage across pins 1 and 3 and also across pins 2 and 3.

With your meter on ohms (amp disconnected from power source), do you read anything near zero ohms across any of the individual components mounted to the sink?

With the amp powered up (including remote) measure both the AC and AC voltage from pin 1 to pin 3 of the power supply transistors (all those components with the white jumper wires on both sides of the sink). Also measure the voltage (AC and DC) from pin 2 to pin 3.

Old 15th December 2006, 12:17 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

i am unable to power this amp up to even try and test voltages.I hooked up power to the amp including remote turn on and it fried a five amp fuse instantly.I'm getting continuity between the middle leg and the right leg on four transistors. They are the transistors in the upper left hand corner of this photo(its my actual amp).I can provide much better pics if needed.Will these four shorted transistors keep the amp from powering up?

Old 15th December 2006, 12:21 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

sorry its a bad pic.I guess i could have taken the clamp downs off of the transistors so you could actually see something.I'll get something better when I get a chance to take it apart.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!