Old School Orion 2150 gx.I must repair this amp - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 11th January 2007, 12:54 AM   #71
spooney is offline spooney  United States
diyAudio Member

this is probably a dumb question as I'm pretty sure it would handle it but does anyone know for sure if this amp will handle 2 ohms stereo when in good working order?

Old 11th January 2007, 03:40 AM   #72
diyAudio Member

YES, it will, but it will get very hot because of the transistor power supply. That's why all these amp companies went to MosFet power supply's

You also should take Scott's offer of parts (07's& 57's), I can and will vouch for him any day of the year. Save yorself time and get them from Scott.
Or use 06's and 56's like I suggested they are cheaper.

Also for test you can use 6488's and 6491's in there place <just watch out for lead placement they have different lead pin-outs. Look up the pdf's on the web, and download them, them compare the pin-outs and bend some leads to make them fit and use tubular insiulation striped off wire or cable to prevent leads from shorting out on themselves.

This is a simple trick that will pass way more current than the original parts ever did. This will also speed you up some in your quest to repair, It's not a permanent thing to do, just a quick trick to move things along abit.

I have also seen this done on refurbed Autobahn amps. the drivers fail and they replaced them with outputs, go figure.... but it works.

Hope this helps

Old 11th January 2007, 10:10 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

I just received some 07's from Scott yesterday.I definitely agree that he is a good guy to deal with. He also found a place where I can get some cheap 57's. I'll probably use the mpsa 06s and 56s like Perry suggested in place of those 07's and 57s for testing because if there are any other problems and they blow out they are very cheap to replace.

Old 12th January 2007, 12:59 AM   #74
diyAudio Member

The lowest impedance....
See the next two pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orion2150gx-a.jpg (65.8 KB, 222 views)

Old 12th January 2007, 01:00 AM   #75
diyAudio Member

And this one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orion2150gx-b.jpg (55.8 KB, 217 views)

Old 3rd February 2007, 11:59 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

well after procrastinating for a long time I finally soldered in those mpsa56's and mpsa06's along with the partial power supply and output section as recommended and yet again tried to fire up the old orion.It made a high pitch squeal for a split second upon applying turn on power but to my surprise the newly replaced LED lit up and the 5 amp fuse remained intact.Feeling lucky I decided to run signal to it and for the first time I heard this amp play.It was an awesome feeling.One channel seemed to play fine but the other was very very weak.Just about dead.I checked out the preamp ICs and found that one channel was not receiving much of a signal.I traced the lead back to a small input capacitor directly next to the rca input for that channel.Turns out that this cap is trash as it has good voltage on one side but nothing on the other.I planned on replacing all the caps anyways so its no biggie to replace this one but man I'm so happy to hear this thing play at all even if it was only one channel.This amp has definitely been a positive learning experience for me.I thank all of you for bearing with me and helping me out with this old beast.

Old 4th February 2007, 01:55 AM   #77
diyAudio Member

Your Welcome !

Old 6th February 2007, 12:24 AM   #78
diyAudio Member

well I replaced the bad capacitor and I'm happy to say that I now have solid volume out of both channels.However the channel that previously had weak output is very distorted.What could possibly cause this distortion.It sounds like heavy clipping to me.

Old 6th February 2007, 01:12 AM   #79
diyAudio Member

Do you have an oscilloscope?

Old 6th February 2007, 03:43 AM   #80
diyAudio Member

No i don't. Is there anywhere that might rent that kind of equipment?

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!