Detachable car audio system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built a car audio system that can be removed to take along to the beach or to friends with clockradio hifi systems :D

It operates on a separate 12V 6A battery (put cells in a bottle) for about 20 hours at very high levels.(see pic)

In my car I've built XLR sockets as power plugs so I can connect the amp to the power of the car.

The two speakers are built from PVC tubes, it is one straight tube each side with two knees pointing up and placed the drivers (monacor SP60/8, two each side ) in the covers I put on the ends. (pics will follow)

The tweeter (monacor DT-25S) is taped to one end of the tube, right next to one of the drivers. I heated the straight tubes in the middle and made it oval to keep the speakers standing up (they fold tight around the chairs between the chairs and doors, two little woofers behind the chairs, two in front with the tweeter...).

The part that always stays in the car is the sub, four woofers in the back (in a wooden board) two vifa 10" polycone and two Monacor SPH-300KE.

They are all drivers I allready had for a while, just started all this to give them purpose. But the results are most convincing!

Sometimes I use an AMP32 from 41hz.com, just connected to the front speakers without additional filter. I hardly miss my sub this way, unless I want to play really loud, though many people still begg me to turn it down...:p

Other times I use a TAA4100A based amp (Audiodigit) much like AMP9 from 41hz.com which delivers a lot more power and in four channels. I connect two channels to the front with an additional 100hz highpass filter and two channels to the rear with a 100 hz lowpass filter. This system is capable of producing bass massage...:smash: :D 10 drivers in action!!

These amps have such low consumption tah I never have to worry about drawing my battery flat! And the sound is really good, very powerfull (even with only the little AMP32)

Even in my car my minidisc or cd player sounds much nicer than my mp3 player, but the mp3 player allready rocks!

A question:

The mp3 player has an FM radio, only the problem is that the heaphone wire is the antenna and doesn't receive much when it is connected to an amp. Anyone know how to solve this?

Or maybe I should start another thread....

Here's a picture of the humble speakers (prototypes actually, if I think of a solution that fits in any car I'll do a mold....

Attachments

• autoboxen.jpg
    autoboxen.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 416
Just finished my Amp9 (still needs some polishing, but it fits the case, and it works!!)

:smash: :smash: :smash:

It's an excellent amp for in a car, small, won't get even warm, sounds good and has reasonable power....

Here's a picture with a four channel passive preamp:

Attachments

• amp9+pre.jpg
    amp9+pre.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 335
Thanks, if you you are planning on a trip to the eiffeltower, the atomium or the westerschelde dam, feel welcome to drop by and have a listen!

I wouldnt know what to choose between if I were in your shoes... :p theyre really within the same league haha

No really, these speakers make me wonder why I have installed a sub, they surprise me again every time. These Monacors can handle serious mechanical abuse (SP-60basspeakers) even when you operate them without an enclosure (I've put heavy housebeats through a 100Wrms amp and it really trembled the place, but hardly noticeable distortion!).

My car is a 'pontiac lemans'....very nice acoustics in this car, it's even famed for this one of my collegues told me yesterday.... (the company where I work is quite large and as 'the word' is spreading people drop by nearly every day asking for 'a listen'... most of them leave the car with a :eek: face... )

I know the amp is largely to thank for this soundquality, but for what it cost me these speakers are well worth the effort to build....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.