Cadillac install was a pain! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2006, 12:03 AM   #1
rader is offline rader  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Cadillac install was a pain!

am I the only one who had trouble installing a system in a Cadillac? The factory harness had no 12v switched, and the 12 v constant droped out after a relay timed out. Finding the right power sources was a pain. This was a 1998 Eldorado, replacing an OEM non-Bose system. I installed: Eclipse CD200 HU, PPI Sedona 200 amp, Soundstream ref. 300 amp, Audio Planet amp, JL autio sub w/ enclosure, Polk components up front and Infinity 6X9 3 way in the deck. Sounds great...but that a pain.
Old 11th November 2006, 01:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

the constant wire should have been orange
switched ign wire= yellow
ground=black
illumination=gray
dimmer=brown
atenna trigger=pink
left front+ tan
left front - gray
right front+ light green
right front neg- dark green
left rear + brown
left rear - yellow
right rear+ dark blue
right rear - light blue

sorry for your luck but must say i never ran into that problem before and ive hooked up many systems in thoose cars
Old 11th November 2006, 02:13 AM   #3
rader is offline rader  United States
diyAudio Member

That's what I thought. maybe I a slow but ut did not work for me. The orange gave 12 v constatant, for about 10 minutes then it dropped out. I think it has to do with a "retained power" function. I had to go to a relay to get 12V switched. The 12V non-switched, I went straight to the main fuse block...knew i could not miss it there. Seems like Cadillac are just too complicated. Then again...maybe I am slooooow.
Old 19th November 2006, 06:59 AM   #4
MartyM is offline MartyM  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MartyM
You're correct in having difficulties in late model GM vehicles.

The same applies to other GM vehicles, especially those with "premium" audio systems and vehicles with the in-car network. The old +12V "ACC" lines are much harder to find.

I recently had to derive switched +12V from a harness under the dash, directly from the ignition switch harness.

You also could use a simple transistor-based "relay" to use a +5V switched signal to act as a relay to supply a +12V signal.

That's part of gaining experience installing! The pros like myself have to get around some pretty hard stuff in today's vehicles.
Old 20th November 2006, 09:25 AM   #5
Maris is offline Maris  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Yeah, practically everything is harder to install in the newer cars. Just running a power wire through the fire wall is a load of pain.

Hide this!Advertise here!