Headunit don't like cds when engine running!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I'm just totally stuck by this problem.No matter how I power my headunit, I play a cd and it acts like its skipping,soundwise,but the display counter dissappears with it leaving track number intact and the backlight remains lit. Turn the engine off and it plays fine.

JVC Headunit £80 in halfords
Corsa B type 94 1500TD
Batt 12volts
Alternator 14.3volts

I've wired direct to battery, and to various live points.Tried suppressing with a Cap and an inductor but the same thing occurs.Turn the engine off and everythings fine. I can't return the stereo because I bought it from me brother in law and its fine in his Beemer.Car battery is new, alternator a Recon,the owner,I'm turning into a cabbage with this one.

Help,please anyone

Cheers mikee55:mad:

Hi sss

The original connection was a short 2 core mains lead from battery to the headunit. Not unless you mean take stereo out to the engine bay and temporarily wire some speakers. An update for ya, I'm taking power from a fuse and the earth to a screw nearby. The skipping has reduced somewhat but the front left speaker distorts and the overall volume has dropped a little.:confused:

I'm gonna rewire it tommorow.
Cheers

Mikee55:D

Update

Hi all, I've rewired it this morning. Guess what? It still the same, but...

I disconnected the earth to connect it elsewhere whilst the unit was playing and it kept playing! Its getting its earth from somewhere else and not the dedicated earth wire. I assume the arial and chassis.

Also, I think I should add, the car's original loom was "ISO" I think its called,the stereo isn't!!

Cheers mikee55
:bawling:

The car loom should be ISO. The stereo should have either a proprtietary connector on the back which a loom plugs into with an ISO connector on, or is just an ISO connector already.

If that's all present and correct it should all be fine, with the exception of the red and yellow (permenant live and switched live) wire needing to be switched round.

Hope you have't chopped the ISO connector off the car :eek:

Even with a radio/cassette it should have been able to connect to an ISO loom, they have been standard for over 10 years now.

Personally I hate butchered things, so I would try and get the ISO back on the car, if it was me. For completeness and ease of connectivity in the future if nothing else.

You never know, but doing this it might all work fine. There may be something that's been overlooked with all the spagetti, bullet connectors and choc blocks in there...

Put it back on!!!!

Well, It would be a nightmare, I mean, are the colours standard? If I went and bought one, would it be a case of matching wires?

Off topic, did you get my images I sent you? Outlook has been on one,Send and Recieve, checks my account twice! and the IE keeps playing up,it hangs quite a lot waiting for a page to open!! If the boards look ok, I'd like to start the Input mixer tonight. What do you think?

Cheers
Mike.:eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.