Is a watt a watt ?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2006, 01:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Is a watt a watt ??

I have read on other forums about this topic,just wanted to see what the amp gods here have to say bout this.
Can you hear differences in amps ?
Richard clark has his amp challenge ,and I dont think any one to date has guessed and won the gamble of his challenge.
And what do you guys think are great amps for the price ??
Old 5th November 2006, 03:41 PM   #2
mikee55 is offline mikee55  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default I can tell the difference

Hi, best way to test anything is to use your ears.They're your best judge,If it sounds good to you itts good gear.

mikee55
Old 5th November 2006, 03:51 PM   #3
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

There's a lot more to sound than watts.
Old 5th November 2006, 04:13 PM   #4
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The way some retailers exaggerate the wattage claims just goes to show how unreliable basing sound output (SPL) on watts is.

Some even invent different definitions to allow even more exagerated claims to be made.

PMPO is an example with some claiming over a kW of output power but the input power is less than 50W. If only this could be true.
Old 5th November 2006, 05:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to sr20dem0n
Default Re: Is a watt a watt ??

Quote:
Originally posted by stormtrooper
Richard clark has his amp challenge ,and I dont think any one to date has guessed and won the gamble of his challenge.
That challenge is a good test with some impressive results, but the important thing to understand it he is NOT trying to prove that all amps sound the same, unfortunately that's misunderstood by a lot of people. He's trying to prove that all amps that measure the same, sound the same. He will even physically modify the amps if necessary to get them to measure the same before performing the test - in fact that aspect of the test alone should tell you pretty definitely that not all amps sound the same (if they did, why would he need to mod them?). He's simply trying to prove that there's not some unmeasurable "X factor" in expensive amps that make them sound better than cheaper amps - that all audible differences between amps can be explained and quantified.
Old 5th November 2006, 05:44 PM   #6
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

If you had one amp with excellent channel separation and another with poor separation you could most likely have 10k in your pocket pretty easily if you take along the right music
Old 5th November 2006, 06:22 PM   #7
Jexx is offline Jexx  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jexx
Default Re: Re: Is a watt a watt ??

Quote:
Originally posted by sr20dem0n

That challenge is a good test with some impressive results, but the important thing to understand it he is NOT trying to prove that all amps sound the same, unfortunately that's misunderstood by a lot of people. He's trying to prove that all amps that measure the same, sound the same. He will even physically modify the amps if necessary to get them to measure the same before performing the test - in fact that aspect of the test alone should tell you pretty definitely that not all amps sound the same (if they did, why would he need to mod them?). He's simply trying to prove that there's not some unmeasurable "X factor" in expensive amps that make them sound better than cheaper amps - that all audible differences between amps can be explained and quantified.

Awesome post, I couldn't agree more.

Hide this!Advertise here!