Is a watt a watt ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have read on other forums about this topic,just wanted to see what the amp gods here have to say bout this.
Can you hear differences in amps ?
Richard clark has his amp challenge ,and I dont think any one to date has guessed and won the gamble of his challenge.
And what do you guys think are great amps for the price ??

The way some retailers exaggerate the wattage claims just goes to show how unreliable basing sound output (SPL) on watts is.

Some even invent different definitions to allow even more exagerated claims to be made.

PMPO is an example with some claiming over a kW of output power but the input power is less than 50W. If only this could be true.

stormtrooper said:
Richard clark has his amp challenge ,and I dont think any one to date has guessed and won the gamble of his challenge.

That challenge is a good test with some impressive results, but the important thing to understand it he is NOT trying to prove that all amps sound the same, unfortunately that's misunderstood by a lot of people. He's trying to prove that all amps that measure the same, sound the same. He will even physically modify the amps if necessary to get them to measure the same before performing the test - in fact that aspect of the test alone should tell you pretty definitely that not all amps sound the same (if they did, why would he need to mod them?). He's simply trying to prove that there's not some unmeasurable "X factor" in expensive amps that make them sound better than cheaper amps - that all audible differences between amps can be explained and quantified.

Re: Re: Is a watt a watt ??

sr20dem0n said:

That challenge is a good test with some impressive results, but the important thing to understand it he is NOT trying to prove that all amps sound the same, unfortunately that's misunderstood by a lot of people. He's trying to prove that all amps that measure the same, sound the same. He will even physically modify the amps if necessary to get them to measure the same before performing the test - in fact that aspect of the test alone should tell you pretty definitely that not all amps sound the same (if they did, why would he need to mod them?). He's simply trying to prove that there's not some unmeasurable "X factor" in expensive amps that make them sound better than cheaper amps - that all audible differences between amps can be explained and quantified.

Awesome post, I couldn't agree more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.