colossus xx

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi just wondering a guy has a colossus xx amp he wants to sell when i hooked it up to test it a trace on the board popped and 2 transistors went bad i fixed the power supply but now the amp has another problem with what i think is the muting circuit when a sub is connected to it it plays full volume for about 5 secs and shuts off i know on the xi amps there is a muting circuit when the amp turns on it mutes the outputs for a few secs this one doesnt do that it comes on full blast and then when u unhook the speaker and hook it back up again the amp is dead till u power it off for a few mintues and does the same thing all over again he wanted to sell it in working condition for $300.00 well the amp doesnt work wondering what might be the problem with it and wondering if someone could tell me what it might be worth broken since im gonna have alot of time into fixing this amp please let me know i would greatly appericate it

Your suffering from protection circuit operation. there is more wrong with that amp than your seeing.
The give away is the reset of main power to restore ops. Their protection latchs and stays latched until reset of power on bad issues.

Its class D isn't it?

try and throw a pic up of the repair you did already and the overall of the amp. I own a few series XI class D amps so I have some familiarity with there products ...

mike49504 said:
you said u owned a few xi series class d amps?? hifonics never made class d amps in the xi series ??

:D :D :D :D :D :D

HERCULES XI Class D I have two, One I rebuilt from two dead ones and One I bought off e-bay from a pawn shop.

And they most certainly are class D using the HIP4080 AIP fet driver just like several other brands from API the maker of Hifonics that year, now Maxxsonics out of Hong Kong CHINA.

on the face of the amp in block letters HERCULES XI
with API on the end panel.

Hope this info helps :) :) :)

im working on this amp it powers up and sound comes out but very low output with a hissing sound in the outputs the amp has very lil output for 3000 watts sounds more like 1/4 of a watt on output just wondering if someone might be able to tell me what it is or what to check i checked the fets all check goos checked the resistors also checked good

mike49504 said:
im working on this amp it powers up and sound comes out but very low output with a hissing sound in the outputs the amp has very lil output for 3000 watts sounds more like 1/4 of a watt on output just wondering if someone might be able to tell me what it is or what to check i checked the fets all check goos checked the resistors also checked good

If its on and idling then start looking at the frontend of the amp start with the RCA shield connection to the circuit board just underneath the RCA plastic housing, They break there all the time.
Then head on back into the amp section. A simple test is tp ground the shield with a wire connected to the power supply ground ( toroid center tap ground)

Let me know and possible post a inside pic THX

just wondering if anyone could tell me what to check next im frustrated i spent 4 hours last night looking at stuff everything checks fine but theres hardly anyoutput and resistors heat up in it but all the resistors are in parellel does this mean i have to unsolder eachone and check them?

Did you try to upload those photos again?

I have some photos of a colossus xi but I don't know if it's similar to the xx.

If resistors are getting hot, it's likely that too much current is flowing through them and not a defective resistor.

Connect B+ and ground to the power supply (no remote). Set your meter to DC volts, black lead on the ground terminal. If you touch the red lead to pin one of the power supply FETs, do you have any that read more than 1 volt (check all of them)?

What do you get with remote power applied (meter set the same as above)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.