Zapco z400c4-vx problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2006, 06:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Zapco z400c4-vx problem

I have a Zapco z400c4-vx problem.It has no signs of any burned parts and all the mosfets are okay.The protection comes on and i'm thinking it is the outputs.It uses tip35c and tip36c and every sets of those there are tip107 or a tip102 placed.I have never worked on a 4 channel zapco so this layout just doesn't look normal to me and the only other amp i used like this was a soundstream because of its tip102 and tip107 combos.I did notice at the begaining of the row there is 1 tip102 and the other row there is a tip107 that do get hot and protection comes on and they cool and the amp redoes this over and over.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th October 2006, 07:01 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Also it seems pin 1 and 3 on tip35c seem to be tied togeather and the same on tip36c.If this is okay let me know because i tryed to trace all the traces and it looks like there are traces in the middle of the board and top and bottom making it very hard to check.
Old 28th October 2006, 08:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hey my friend, It could be a four layered card, So your gonna have fun trying to track traces. I worked on 1000 model like this and the fella that owned it had replaced the 120 amps worth of fuses till he burned the internal traces up under the top and bottom layers. ( long brown, expanded areas under the top layer was the give away)

Needless to say he had to purchase a new amp

Hope this helps abit. I have a friend that just rebuilt the Zapco four channel on Amp-guts. I will ask him to respond to your post if he has some time. I think hes a expert now

Have a great weekend

E-mail sent on your behalf to the expert
Old 28th October 2006, 02:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Zapco Z400C4-SL

Please read my thread all the way through to the end before you replace anything. If it's doing the same thing what mine was doing then this will save you a bunch of time and money.

Even though I should have replaced the NAND gate, doing what I did, worked. Let us know what you find.

Do a search for scott-leanne and read the Zapco Z400C4-SL thread, please.

Scott
Old 28th October 2006, 02:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

On the TIP's, they do get hot, especially the two for the voltage regulation. Thatís normal...

Let us know what you find on the NAND gate..Thanks and good luck.
Scott
Old 28th October 2006, 02:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I noticed you pulled a semi out. I'll bet it checked good!!
Old 28th October 2006, 06:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Your in good hands now ! Hope he has your answers. I believe scott-leanne has the best grip on your amp issues
Old 28th October 2006, 07:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys!I have ran in new grounds and there are alot of layers but, i will search scott-leanne thread and see what happened.I did take one out because everything i know just confused me after that.I stopped there and thought i would ask for some help.I bought these 2 zapco amp for me and the one is a Z400C4-SL and a Z600C2-SL.They were from the same owner but,i didn't get any info to what happened but, the Z600C2-SL has one tip31c and tip32c fpr regulation and the tip32c was burnt to 3 pins only!I went over that and its working out okay and there was a few things other than that bad.Thanks again for the help.
Old 28th October 2006, 07:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Wow!THANKS SCOTT-LEANNE!Scott-leanne headache sounds word for word what i have.I took a good look at the caps and i would say this could be a great place to start.I will change everything he did and see what happens.I did a search for zapco on the forum but, i never saw the post.justonemoreamp thanks for the heads up on the thread, the hole was getting deep and i didn't think i was getting out!
Old 28th October 2006, 08:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Cool, Cool, anything for a friend

Have a great weekend

Hide this!Advertise here!