Zapco z400c4-vx problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Zapco z400c4-vx problem.It has no signs of any burned parts and all the mosfets are okay.The protection comes on and i'm thinking it is the outputs.It uses tip35c and tip36c and every sets of those there are tip107 or a tip102 placed.I have never worked on a 4 channel zapco so this layout just doesn't look normal to me and the only other amp i used like this was a soundstream because of its tip102 and tip107 combos.I did notice at the begaining of the row there is 1 tip102 and the other row there is a tip107 that do get hot and protection comes on and they cool and the amp redoes this over and over.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Also it seems pin 1 and 3 on tip35c seem to be tied togeather and the same on tip36c.If this is okay let me know because i tryed to trace all the traces and it looks like there are traces in the middle of the board and top and bottom making it very hard to check.

Hey my friend, It could be a four layered card, So your gonna have fun trying to track traces. I worked on 1000 model like this and the fella that owned it had replaced the 120 amps worth of fuses till he burned the internal traces up under the top and bottom layers. ( long brown, expanded areas under the top layer was the give away)

Needless to say he had to purchase a new amp:D :D :D :D :D

Hope this helps abit. I have a friend that just rebuilt the Zapco four channel on Amp-guts. I will ask him to respond to your post if he has some time. I think hes a expert now :)

Have a great weekend :)

E-mail sent on your behalf to the expert :)

Zapco Z400C4-SL

Please read my thread all the way through to the end before you replace anything. If it's doing the same thing what mine was doing then this will save you a bunch of time and money.

Even though I should have replaced the NAND gate, doing what I did, worked. Let us know what you find.

Do a search for scott-leanne and read the Zapco Z400C4-SL thread, please.

Scott:smash:

Thanks guys!I have ran in new grounds and there are alot of layers but, i will search scott-leanne thread and see what happened.I did take one out because everything i know just confused me after that.I stopped there and thought i would ask for some help.I bought these 2 zapco amp for me and the one is a Z400C4-SL and a Z600C2-SL.They were from the same owner but,i didn't get any info to what happened but, the Z600C2-SL has one tip31c and tip32c fpr regulation and the tip32c was burnt to 3 pins only!I went over that and its working out okay and there was a few things other than that bad.Thanks again for the help.

Wow!THANKS SCOTT-LEANNE!Scott-leanne headache sounds word for word what i have.I took a good look at the caps and i would say this could be a great place to start.I will change everything he did and see what happens.I did a search for zapco on the forum but, i never saw the post.justonemoreamp thanks for the heads up on the thread, the hole was getting deep and i didn't think i was getting out!

DONT REPLACE EVERYTHING!!!
The only thing that will go bad is the small electrolytic Caps on the pre-driver stage, I think there the 10uf ones. And the NAND gate is probably the culprit. How I found it was I pulled the cap out of circuit, the one next to the NAND gate and then turned on the amp and it powered up every time. I just opted to put a little larger value cap in it place. I should have changed the op amp but it is just part of the turn on stage. The rest of the amp is bullet proof and I doubt any thing else fried.
Scott

Okay well with lots of testing this is what i found.I replaced all the caps around pre-driver stage like in the picture.I had no luck with everything and i tryed to change the cap with the larger cap and the protection just stays on.So i did some checking and i replaced another cap with the 100uf 50v cap. and the amp stayed on.This suprised me and i thought i was going in the right direction.When i put the rca's in i couldn't here anything from the output and about a min. into it i get sound and then it goes right off and into proection and works again.The amp doesn't shut off if there isn't any rca's or speakers hooked up.I wonder if i should replace HCF4093 or maybe there might be more wrong?I put a picture of the cap i replaced.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

There is no poping and nothing when metering it.I am getting sound now out of the channels but, it doesn't last long allmost like something heats up and causes the sound to go away.I did notice that the rear channel has sound but, the speaker floats out and in while playing sound.After a little bit the sound is gone.

Well,new update and now i get sound sometimes and others not.I deside to get 2 HCF4093 and i'm going to replace a few more caps and other parts around that point.One ques. is the lmt339d the same as lm339d?I haven't found the lmt339d anywhere and checked all the sources i have.I'm finding if i power everything up with no rca's in and no speakers hooked up.Than once powered up add the rca's in and then connect speakers i have sound.Crazy Zapco!

Well with lots of testing and insight Scott-leanne help me with my zapco works perfect.Now for what i did to make it work and what i replaced.I ended up replacing 2 HCF4093 NAND gate witch Scott-leanne thought all along.After changing these the amp powered on and works fine and i replaced all the 10uf 50v caps and the 100uf 50v caps to make sure i don't have any problems later.I did get a few other parts but, after the first test everything worked.I never had to sub anything and replced everything with the exact match.Hope this helps someone out there later because i don't think this is the last of the zapco problems.

shallowfu said:
Well with lots of testing and insight Scott-leanne help me with my zapco works perfect.Now for what i did to make it work and what i replaced.I ended up replacing 2 HCF4093 NAND gate witch Scott-leanne thought all along.After changing these the amp powered on and works fine and i replaced all the 10uf 50v caps and the 100uf 50v caps to make sure i don't have any problems later.I did get a few other parts but, after the first test everything worked.I never had to sub anything and replced everything with the exact match.Hope this helps someone out there later because i don't think this is the last of the zapco problems.

Congrates on your success, I though Scott would be your best bet. I'm glad he helped you work it out.
As I said Scott's the local Zapco expert, after what he went thru on the one posted on Amp-Guts.com.;) :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.