nte parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have a question are nte parts good to use or only use them as a last option my friend that does amp repairs sometimes told me not to use them because 1 nte part cross to like all sorts of stuff like say i have a transitor 3205 and want to use a nte it also says it can be used for irf540 irf 9540 irf1010 just for example so im wondering if nte parts are good or not really considering they cost like twice as much as oem parts

When you repair any device you should know precisely what semiconductor you're installing. With NTE and similar parts, you really don't have a clue what the part is. You have to rely on the judgement of someone who has no clue how the part will be used. This is especially true of discrete parts. For specialized ICs like vertical deflection driver ICs in TVs and such, they may be OK because there is only one IC that will work.

Tried them (NTE) 15 years ago. They were xxxx then and I'm sure they are not any better now.
General replacement parts might work for shade tree repairs, but todays products generally have tighter engineering and that does not leave room for wide range replacement devices. Not if you want product performance to spec.

NTE's hay-day was back when you could not query the net for parts worldwide in less time than it takes to call home.
Use the right parts and relieve yourself of the guess factor that you might have just installed.

Been there, and done that. Never again. Plus they cost more than the correct exact part. Guess it must be all that relabelling they do, along with the single item packaging costs:xeye:

Please Lord let my painful experiances in my youth become someone elses wisdom:) A-men !

I have not had good luck with NTE. What semi's I have seen are pretty pitiful looking when measured. They are supposed to manufacture their own but I think they buy out other company's rejects and package them up. Well, that's what I was reminded of when I looked at the last jfet I got from them. Since then, no more. NTE is Nam Tai Electronics and is traded on the NYSE.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.