Pioneer won't switch on (like dead) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2006, 02:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pioneer won't switch on (like dead)

Hi everybody.
I have a pioneer Power Amplifier for Car use.(it is supplied at 12V).
Well this amp came in my hands from a friend of mine. It is a used amp but it is really good. and I liked that gift. But when i connect it to the 12V power suply it doesn't make any thing at all.....just like dead..... No led turns on and there is no sound at the loudspeaker, it doesn't even warm up just a little bit (at the supply transistors and the amp FET-s. It works with PWM power supply in the DC/AC converter). Well i can not figure it out what to do with that. I really don't want to send it to rubish cause it is a real quality stuff. when i opened it up there were no signs of burns inside.Can u help me? Ill send u some photos tomorow for further detail. thanks in advance.
Old 16th October 2006, 02:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Is there an additional line that should be connected to your head unit? Typically, these power amps get their voltage directly from the battery, but won't switch on unless they see power on a separate line. Typically, they use the same line that raises your power antenna.
Old 16th October 2006, 07:14 PM   #3
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

If it's labelled in english, there may be a terminal near the power connections called "remote", for the remote turn-on lead. When the head unit turns on this lead goes to "12V" and the amplifier senses the voltage and turns on. Jumper this to the 12V supply on the (+) and it should turn on if all else is well.
Old 16th October 2006, 07:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

NO there is no other line to connect to the head unit.(U mean the remote control, don't u? The one that turns on the amp if connected to the positive pole of the battery). Usually it is suited between the positive and the negative pins of the supply in the amp. Did I understood that well? Correct me if I am wrong.
I am afraid there is something at the DC/AC converter in the supply unit of the amp and I really don't understand that mess. There are some of IC-s and plenty of little transistors there. Any one of them can be dead and I think I can not find which one without your help.

Sorry about the photos that I promised before but I had some trouble with the rechargable batteries of the camera. Something with the charger. I'll fix that tonight and the photos will be available the next morning.
Old 17th October 2006, 06:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Photos of "dead" pioneer

Hello everybody,
As I promised yesterday, I brought some photos of my Pioneer.
I tried to connect it to a dual voltage transformer, as u can guess, +18v, -18v so that I could understand if the supply DC/AC converter had died too. (I have done that before successfully) well it wont give a sign of life even now. I think I have got to find a remote line to connect to the +12V but I can't find it. THEORETICALLY it should switch on after i connect it to the +12v.
Now it's in your hands. Help me please!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0203.jpg (59.2 KB, 207 views)
Old 17th October 2006, 06:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

another photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0204.jpg (69.8 KB, 191 views)
Old 17th October 2006, 07:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

circuit photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0206.jpg (99.7 KB, 261 views)
Old 17th October 2006, 07:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

the back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0207.jpg (82.1 KB, 202 views)
Old 17th October 2006, 09:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default AMP identification

Sorry I am new in this forum and maybe i am not posting at the right place, but I wanted to ask a simple question:
Which model of pioneer amp is the one on the photo below? Any identification code will be helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0203.jpg (59.2 KB, 204 views)
Old 17th October 2006, 11:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The amp appears to be the same as a Pioneer GM-1000/2000. It may be labeled differently outside of the US.

There is a 4 pin plug. The two center pins labeled acc and B/R need 12 volts for the amp to power up. Connect them to a 12 volt power source via a 3 amp fuse.
Attached Images
File Type: gif pio.gif (48.9 KB, 243 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!