low pass filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I have just entered in this forum and it seems it's great.
Well first of all I had a question about preamp filtering:
I've got a 200w car amplifier(phonocar) briged and a 12" boschman sub. my problem is that my amp has got no preamp filtering. just full pass.Listening to music in that way is terrible, believe me.
I was wandering if I can construct a low pass preamplifier filter which allows frequencies under 80Hz and goes at 18 or 24 db/octave. It doesn't matter to me if it is a passive or active filter.

OK I will try that. I hope it helps.
I just had a look at the google and there is something i don't understand in that Operational Amplifier. (I might admit it, I am not at all experienced in making up electronic circuits)
What do I connect to
OFFSET N1, OFFSET N2, and NC pins. Well I imagine NC is connected to ground but I can't figure it out what to connect to the other 2 pins.
I really need that help.

If u need to chek that out the link below might be usefull
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl071.pdf

Woow what a terrible mistake i have done. . .
I told u that I was unexperienced in circuit building.

Now I see... NC stands for "not connected".
Well does it matter if I don't connect the offset terminals at all. Will it affect the results I expect?

Did I thanked you for the help?I guess i haven't. well, thanks a lot. I really appreciate your advices. I'm glad I am part of this forum now.

I just made up the low pass circuit based on TL072 op amp. Well let me say that the result was great. but.... after a few minutes working in music a terrible noise came out of the sub and I immediately disconnected the amp from power source. Then I removed the filter and the amp was completely OK. connected again the filter but the noise was again present. I think i have blown up the op amp of the filter cause i supplied it at +18 -18 volts dual voltage of the amplifier. may this have caused the problem? If so then at what voltage should I supply the TL072 op amp? specifications from the producer say from +/-5 to +/-18 volts. can u help me please?

you could just put a regulator in - this will give you a constant voltage out. if you want 9 volts out, just use LM7809 and LM7909 instead of LM7812 and LM7912. the caps in the diagram shouldn't be necissary- but you do need heatsinks on the regulators.

Attachments

• volt reg.gif
    volt reg.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 114
Or you could use small switching supply that produces +/- 12V. Check out the ones made by TDK. I'm relatively sure model number CC3-1212DF-E will work for you. It produces +/-12V and
+/-125mA from a 9V to 18V input power supply. You will probably will need something like this when you put the filter in your car, since your car battery only produces a positive voltage.

Best of luck with your project. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.