Audiobauhn Flame amp, catching real flames!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Who ever read the other thread, remote wire grounded saw that i fixed the amp and everything worked. Well in my brothers car.

I then hooked it up in my car and blew 2 100A fuses. Then the third one didn't blow, i turned the car on and the amp was good, turned the radio on and when to check in the led's on the amp went on atleast, and flames!!!!

I turned everything off right away, took the amp in the house and took it apart[ i will have pics later on tonite i home i don't have my cam on me] well a row of mosfets were in the blaze. 1 was starting to melt and a few others didn't look too good.

One difference from when i tested it in my brothers car was when i tested it there i had it out of the case/heatsink. Then in my car i put it all together and hooked it up. Could it be because there wasn't enough of that white pasty stuff? What is it buy the way?

Second could it just be my car? I wouldn't doubt it because it seems to be on its way out, well electrical/engine wise.

Any input would be great.

marcello7x said:
hooked it up in my car and blew 2 100A fuses. Then the third one...

Two should have been enough of a clue that something was wrong.

You may have grounded something when you put it all back in the chassis. Did you check for contiunity between the ground and positive hookups after you put everything back in the chassis?

The white pasty stuff is thermal grease. It helps the transistors transfer heat to the heatsinks. It would not blow fuses.

If the insulators are those lil things the same shape as size as the mosfets that go between them and the heatsink then yes, and no. When i took the amp out i didn't keep count of where they went because i didn't notice one for every trasistor, just the bigger ones. And those aren't the ones that went up in flames.

If i need them for every single transistor where can i get them??
Also where can i get the grease.

u dont need them for every transistor but u gotta make sure you are using them on the right ones and theres not 2 stuck together and for the grease/paste for the heatsink u can but a small tube at radioshack or any shop that sells replacement parts for amps radios ect

I'm bringing back an old thread i started because i finally got around to getting some fet's and replacing the ones on my amp.

I tested the amp and it works perfectly, now all i need to do if find insulators so i can place the board back into the case.

Where can i buy the mica insulators? Other than online?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.