Car Amplifier Heatsink Source?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes.

I was looking for a stock heatsink, rather than having a new die made. I figured that a stock shape shouldn't be too hard to find, but so far I'm getting brickwalled. I emailed "MOER" about this about three months ago, with no response. I KNOW he has contacts being the Zed Audio dude...maybe he's on vacation.

Bringing this thread back, I'm looking for the same. Want a heatsink that looks something like this (excuse the poor Paint drawing). A radius of around 3". A quarter circle.

Attachments

• heatsink.png
    heatsink.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 769
Re: In case anyone else is looking...

EnvisionAudio said:
I found these guys, too.

I don't need 1000pcs of these things. I need 50 or so. Maybe 100.

http://www.heatsink.co.kr/

This is the problem

I have a bad experience whit "yaro components" Dennis Eisen And Sergio Santiago, after a planing trough some e-mails, order a 40 parts of heatsink, $22.00 each part, Sergio never response more

:whazzat:

Heatsinks

I design car amps on Saturdays for a small manufacturer in Los Angeles. I have been unable to find a stock source for car amp heatsinks. Even the companies in Asia who have a public tool available generally require a several hundred kg order.

They are all custom jobs.

Dan

I design car amps on Saturdays for a small manufacturer in Los Angeles. I have been unable to find a stock source for car amp heatsinks. Even the companies in Asia who have a public tool available generally require a several hundred kg order.

They are all custom jobs.

There are small surviving car audio manufacturers in the US? Any hints? Initials, maybe? :D

I was trying to break further into the kit-audio scene with a car amplifier power supply kit for the various home audio amplifier designs around the 'net. The main sticking factor is the freakin' chassis. You'd think this would be a simple undertaking. :whazzat: Instead, I have gobbled up scores of hours searching for the typical car amplifier components. Things like tri-barrier terminal strips - in gold. Maybe some polycarbonate housed set-screw style terminals? Transistor hold down clamps? Not Available to a 50-100 quantity buyer! Bollocks, sez I!

If you have any further words of wisdom, I'd be happy to listen. Ecstatic, even.

USA Car Amp Maker

See www.trutechnology.com.

Their amps are 100% designed and built in Southern California. The only foreign parts are those that are not available in the USA.

They are built in Glendale, California in the northern part of LA County. I design them and I design them to sound great and to be as tough as possible. While any amp can fail, these amps can take a pounding that would kill an Asian amps. Even US brand ones made in Asia. And if they ever do fail, at least these are amps worth repairing.

These are not cheap amps. But these are amps worth having.

Can this be construed as an ad. Maybe but the question was whether there were any amps made in the USA any more so I submit to the moderator to allow this posting.

Dan

Re: USA Car Amp Maker

dmfraser said:
See www.trutechnology.com.

Their amps are 100% designed and built in Southern California. The only foreign parts are those that are not available in the USA.

They are built in Glendale, California in the northern part of LA County. I design them and I design them to sound great and to be as tough as possible. While any amp can fail, these amps can take a pounding that would kill an Asian amps. Even US brand ones made in Asia. And if they ever do fail, at least these are amps worth repairing.

These are not cheap amps. But these are amps worth having.

Can this be construed as an ad. Maybe but the question was whether there were any amps made in the USA any more so I submit to the moderator to allow this posting.

Dan

So who's the Fairchild guy, TRU was pushing as the designer? also i recall the sledge amps were made in korea/taiwan?

people were showing the foreign 'made in' stickers on termpro around last year.

Id like to try one of the amps as im sure they probably sound great, but i cant stand the obnoxious marketing team...which has put me off from buying.

nice amps though!

John Fairchild

John Fairchild, formerly of Cerwin Vega, designed the Billet series amplifiers, almost getting it to production. However, he passed away last March. I have taken over, completing the design so it could be marketed, and to develop new products. I also design high end pro audio equipment for Renkus-Heinz Inc., (www.rh.com) including very high power Class-D products and DSPs with digital audio distribution for large venue sound systems.

Dan

TruTech

In their original incarnation TruTech did import some amps. However, various issues, such as quality, have shifted the company focus to build exclusively in the USA now. Even the board assembly work, while contracted, is done in Southern California.

And I do design Class-D amps. The Powernet amplifier at www.rh.com has a 1000W LF section, 500W of MF and 200W of HF. We also have some 200W and 500W full range units. Some of these use ICE Power modules and some do not. Yes, I am an ICE Power OEM. I have tried to talk ICE into releasing their product for the DIY market but they are afraid of what support for the DIY market will cost them. Their modules are great but they do take a lot of talent to deploy correctly.

I have not yet released any mobile Class-D amps yet. The amps on the market that do not use the ICE power chips basically suck. The ones with ICE power chips vary from OK to great. However, some of the great ones have had reliability issues, mainly involving power supply problems.

I am designing some full range Class-D stuff now for other applications but not with the ICE chips as these are very hard to get, even for an ICE OEM like myself. I cannot release full details yet. Specially since I have to get some pre-amp and DSP design work out of the way first.

Anyway, lunch break is over and I have to get back to the bench and finish debugging a DSP for a powered loudspeaker so it can be shown at the Infocom show in Anaheim next week.

Dan

Re: TruTech

dmfraser said:
In their original incarnation TruTech did import some amps. However, various issues, such as quality, have shifted the company focus to build exclusively in the USA now. Even the board assembly work, while contracted, is done in Southern California.

And I do design Class-D amps. The Powernet amplifier at www.rh.com has a 1000W LF section, 500W of MF and 200W of HF. We also have some 200W and 500W full range units. Some of these use ICE Power modules and some do not. Yes, I am an ICE Power OEM. I have tried to talk ICE into releasing their product for the DIY market but they are afraid of what support for the DIY market will cost them. Their modules are great but they do take a lot of talent to deploy correctly.

<snip>

Anyway, lunch break is over and I have to get back to the bench and finish debugging a DSP for a powered loudspeaker so it can be shown at the Infocom show in Anaheim next week.

Dan

Yes, I've heard of TRU amplifiers but have zero hands-on experience with them, but they look very nice.

I have been designing and building car amplifiers from scratch as a hobby since the mid 1990's. My first was a relatively radical 500W mono based around the old HIP4080 motor drive IC. It used the transformer that is shown in my avatar on the left in the power supply. It cost me quite a bit of money at the time (for a 17 year old) and after blowing it up during a test, I never rebuilt it. Fast forward 14 years and I'm trying out the DIY car audio scene, filling the gap for those that roll their own home amplifiers.

My day job is research and dev engineering for a large US digital printing company. I am friends with Bob Cordell, a longtime audio amplifier designer and enthusiast. You might know (of) him.

So, do you work as an independent contractor?

I also build car amps as a hobby and probably sell if time and money permits......

also having the same problem. the hardest parts to source are the chassis and terminal blocks that take in 4ga cable. :(

for the ferrite trafo, I got hold of about a dozen different sized ones enough to keep me busy, chassis? well, I've been collecting some broken car amps from car stereo shops (they give it to me for free) but most of them already have the terminal blocks melted due to improper wiring so yeah, the terminal blocks are the hardest to find.

if all else fails, I'm resorting to the old school method..... direct wire connection. wires sticking out of the chassis to connect to power, speaker etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.