Mosfet blown all the time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to know why my car amplifier's mosfet blown all the time. I have no idea how to mke my amplifier more reliable. When I drive 1 12" subwoofer with my alplifier, I can last around half an hour and the mosfet will blown. I have checked the temperature, it was only around 67-68'C and it was not normal to blow mosfet in this range of temperature I think. Can anyone help me?

Could be alot of things here.

Bad ground,
Bad power wire,
Improper fusing,
Too low of a load on the amp,
Low 12 volt DC to the amp
Bad drive voltage to the fets,
A bad gate resistor

Plus 70 degress C is pertty hot, over 150 F so your junction temps would be really out there on your fets. Case temp is relative to the high temp cutoff sensor, and ball park to the internal temp of the fet junction.

Plus you could have one fet failing and dragging the rest down with it, they are banked after all so, "1 down goes all"

You need to post more info like what speaker and voice coils wired how, and what amp and model.

You could have a 50 watt pyramid amp driving a L7 dual wired for 1 ohm for all we know by your description And this combo just won't work for anyone lol lol lol

Send more info please thx

The temperature of the case is most probably a lost leader in this issue.

Since all mosfets are rated for temps above 100 degress C, and mosfets have the opposite temp coefficient as regular transistors.

So, keep looking, and start looking elsewhere than the "symptom" fet failure as its clearly a by-product of the real failure issue....

Best of luck as always :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.