System Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll be buying an SUV of some sort in about 3 months to replace my old SUV. In the mean time, I have some equipment from my old SUV and some other stuff I have picked up along the way. I'm looking at SQ rather than SPL.

Here is what I have so far:
1-Orion 250 HCCA
1-Orion 225 HCCA
1-Orion 275 SX
2-Orion 275 Pop top
1-MTX 2160
1-MTX 4160
1-Spare 225 Heatsink.

1-Kicker Solobaric L7 8"
4-Kicker Competition 12's
1-Kicker Resolution Component set 6"
2-Kicker Resolution 4" mids
2-Kicker Freeair 6.5"

1-Rockford Fosgate OEQ
1-Orion DEQ30

1-Orion 30DBHP high pass crossover
2-Orion 30DBLP low pass crossover
1-Orion 200CRX two way crossover

Here is what I'm thinking:
Components in the kicks (Orion 275), Midbass in doors(Orion 225 Bridged), and subs out back(Orion 250). The DEQ30 for eq duties and the orion crossovers.

Another option, if space is available, is to use the square sub for midbass duties in the center console off the orion 225 because I would like to stay away from putting anything in the doors if possible. It's not worth the hassle of dynamat and resonance control to me.

I would also like to maintain some continuity in the system. So no mixing of MTX and Orion amps or PopTop/Non PopTop amps in the mix. Speakers shouldn't be a problem since they are all kicker. I don't intent on using every single item, just enough of them for SQ. I'd like to take a simple approach rather than complex.

Any input would be appreciated!

Yeah, I thought about going all active on this system. I would like to use what I already have rather than purchasing new equipment. Just try to optimize my system with the components on hand. I don't have any intentions on competing or anything of that sort.

For an all active system, I had thrown around a couple ideas. One was for a simple three way system with subs out back, mids in sealed kicks, and tweets in kicks also.

My main concern is midbass. Will 6.5" go low enough to blend with the 12's? Maybe crossover at 90 Hz? If not, then I would have to incorporate dedicated midbass. In that case, I can add another amp and crossover to the mix, but 4 amps, 4 crossovers, and associated wiring is getting rather complicated. On top of that, I still need room for wife, kids, etc.

My old system consisted of an EQ, 4 channel amp, components, and one sub. It sounded ok, but not great. Now I have a better eq, more powerful amps, and more options.

I don't see why the 6.5s wouldn't go low enough. I just got the Dayton 6 inch mids, and I have them crossed over to a 15 inch sub at 63 hz/12db/oct, and they integrate just fine. If I found the correct speakers, then both the kickers and the Daytons have a similar fs (around 55). You should be able to run them that low. If you're aiming for sq, use a lower xo point. I had mine at 80, but I didn't like it, so I stepped down to 63.

xplod1236, what kind of setup are you using? Are you going from a 15 to those 6 inchers then to a tweet? All active?

The orion crossover modules are 30 dB per octave so I should be good to go crossing the mids at something like 65Hz.

So after the EQ, I'll use the 250hcca on the 4 12's, a 275 on the mids, and a 225 on the tweeters.

A starting point for the crossovers would then be 65Hz for subs/mids and 3500Hz for mids/tweets.

Sounds like I'll be putting up a lot of stuff on ebay in a few months!

thanks!

You got it. I'm going from a 15 to a 6 at 63 hz/12dB/oct, and from a 6 to a tweet at 3.2k/24db/oct. This is all active (alpine cda-9855); mids and tweets are powered by the head unit. I'm not sure how your mids will integrate with the subs, since your XO slope is so steep. I just changed my mid/sub xo slopes to 24, and there was a big difference in the sound compared to 12 dB/oct slopes. With a 24 dB slope, I could hear the separation between the mids and the sub. But when I switched over to a 12 dB slope, everything blened in. I kept the xo point constant at 63 hz.

Your xo points sound good, but the only thing I don't like is the 30 dB/oct crossover. Give it a try and see how you like the sound.

hmmm...I hadn't thought about the steep slopes of the crossover affecting the speakers integration. I was more concerned about protecting the speakers from frequencies outside their intended band.

Are you using symmetric slopes between the sub and mids? 12dB for both high and low pass? Are your mids in sealed kicks or in the doors?

I do have the 200CRX which is 12dB/Octave unit. Or I'll try crossing the sub and mids with a bit of overlap. Let's say 65Hz high pass on the mids and 70Hz low pass on the sub with the 30dB units.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.