Driver recommendations... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2006, 07:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Driver recommendations...

am looking for some high quality car drivers (woofer or could strip down 2 or 3 way) would like a 6X9 or 8 inch round. Looking for an Fs of about 30 Hz and a Qts of 0.6 or higher (higher prefered) and an linear Xmax of 5 or more mm. I am interested in building these into multiple driver ripole cabinets (see link http://www.boxenselbstbau.de/hifi/in...aka_geh_en.htm)
Does a driver like this exist? Are there any cheap car drivers that would do the job? Thanks for you input. Best regards Moray James.
PS thanks for letting me ask as I have zero experience with car audio.
Old 18th September 2006, 07:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Lothar34
There are a few Goldwood 8" subs that come close to what you want, but none of them match everything you're asking for.

Most car 8" subs are designed to be used in small enclosures and don't have a Qts that high.
Old 19th September 2006, 02:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks....

there are some interesting Goldwood driver at reasonable cost. You are right that the Qts of most 8 inch bass drivers is on the low side since they find thier way into small boxes. 6x9 driver are for the most part ment to be run in a door on on the back deck and so will tend to have higher Qts to help offset low frequency roll off. Ther my be some inexpensive choices there.
As I search I am finding a number of good quality pro drivers in the 12 - 18 inch range. Some of these drivers are not farr off in price (somewhat higher) than using multiple 8 inch drivers factoring in a probable price of 15 -20 dollars each. So given the extra mechanical work with multiple drivers unless some good ones can be had for 10 dollars each the bigger drivers are looking to be more cost/time effective.
Anybody used any really good 6x9's with a cur off od around 40 Hz.? Regards Moray James.
Old 19th September 2006, 06:16 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here you go:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6N6uQCJ...=107MM2084#Tab

Not sure what the real going price for those things is. I'd bet you can do better than Crutchfield's price though.
Old 19th September 2006, 06:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Actually, the Vas on those Polks is really low, so they may not work for you either.

I can't find the T/S parameters for these:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2591
but I know a guy who's using them as subs with IB in his car and he says they're great. Kicker says they're for free-air use, but they don't list the T/S parameters in the user's manual even.

Hide this!Advertise here!