Mtx Thunder 2300 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2006, 11:23 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

A single 30 amp supply won't be enough to get full power from that amplifier. If the power supply input voltage is dropping, the amp will not reach its full potential. You'd need a supply that could supply ~90 amps of current at ~13.5 volts for full power.

If you get the same clean power from each channel when driven independently, the audio section of the amp is likely OK. A 2 ohm dummy load would give more definitive results but you may have too little supply capacity for that.

For a full power test of the power supply, you'll have to get a larger supply or reinstall it in the vehicle.

If your power supply doesn't have a fan in it, it probably won't be able to operate continuously at its rated output current for more than a few minutes. Driving the amp with music will be much less stressful on the power supply because it will not continuously operating at full current.

When you reinstall the amp, I'd suggest that you replace the three 30 amp fuses with three 20 amp fuses. They should be enough to allow the amp to run at full power driving speakers with a music signal. they will also provide much better protection for the power supply components if the audio section should fail again. If the 20s blow, replace them with a single 20 amp fuse and turn the amp back on (volume of signal source set to zero). If the fuse blows, the amp has failed again. If it holds and the 20s were simply not enough for the way you use the amp, go to three 25 amp fuses. I've repaired a lot of those amplifiers and when something went wrong (shorted speakers/wiring or blown outputs) the fuses rarely ever blew before the power supply FETs.
Old 15th September 2006, 11:52 PM   #32
vypr is offline vypr  United States
diyAudio Member

ok perry thanks for your help, im gonna go put it in my friends vehicle and see ill let you know what happened
i got 4 20 amp fuses here here to try what you said
Old 16th September 2006, 01:16 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

ok heres what happened, he has two 8 ohm 15 inch subwoofers
with the three 20 amp fuses i started by running it in 8 ohm stereo seemed to work ok, drove it into clipping, then i bridged it to 4 ohm mono left the gain in the same place turned it up and it was no where near as loud as 8 ohm stereo at the same volume level on the source unit, after about 10 seconds of that it stopped working i checked all the fuses an they was blown so i did what you said just put one 20 amp in it did not blow with the source unit off but as soon as it was turned on i saw a power light then it went off it blew the fuse so it failed again time to start over heh
Old 16th September 2006, 01:19 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Did you check the speakers to see if any were shorted?

What about speaker wiring shorts to ground?
Old 16th September 2006, 09:01 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

yeah they are brand new speakers, they arent shorted i checked
everything is ok except the amp
Old 21st September 2006, 07:35 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all your help perry, after i replaced the right channel i know what blew it up the mosfets were rubbing up against the chassis because the legs were too long, i fixed that and it works great. I installed it in my friends car and it worked great, i was even able to bridge it and worked flawlessly. I again thank you for all your help.
Thanks,
Mike

Hide this!Advertise here!