Orion 280GX - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2006, 07:33 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

I found the correct sides for the regulators and the rectifiers , I tested the voltage from the first leg of the + regulator to pin 8 and I get 14.3 volts DC I left the fuse in but pulled the headlamp and the amp now lights up as normal and does not blow the 3amp fuse , I have not used the new parts ,I used the old 7815 and 7915 , I applied a signal and the amp seems to be working correctly both gains operate correctly , the torroid gets hot but that flucuates but at high output it stays at a stable temperature, no parts are damaged at all and no overheating has occured but I will leave it off untill I hear back from you Perry and what your next suggestion will be , I dont want to trust it just yet there is a lot of work in this amp.
Old 10th September 2006, 08:01 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Something's not quite right. The first leg of the negative regulator and the middle leg of the positive regulator are the ground pins. There should essentially be a direct connection (~zero ohms) between them and the point labeled as 'black lead' in the photo.

Measure the resistance between the points below. If you get 0 ohms for each pair of test points, your amp should not have 78/79-15 regulators. It should have transistors as those shown in the photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oriontemp02.jpg (83.0 KB, 114 views)
Old 10th September 2006, 09:19 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

ok on the first leg and middle leg I get 0ohms I was on the wrong leg of the - regulator and in the test you show for me to do in the last picture from rectifier to regulator , now where you have a 6488 I have a 7815 and from middle leg to middle leg I get .614 and this is with no power at all applied to the amp , I get the same reading across the small diode aswell .614
Old 10th September 2006, 05:16 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

In my previous post, I was looking for 2 measurements. The way you measured it doesn't tell me anything. The 0.614 reading could be any number of things. I wanted these measurements to verify the circuit layout. I've never seen an orion amp with 78/79-15 regulators. If you would have read 0 ohm with the meter leads connected as shown in the photo, I would have known that the amp should NOT have had the 7815.

It's not important now if you have zero ohms from pin 1 of the 7915 to pin 2 of the 7815.
Old 10th September 2006, 05:55 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

My board layout is slightly different then the photo , to be honest I have never seen an orion amp like this either , I looked at a pic of what was a replacement board for a 280GX and my 280 GX looks nothing like it , orcourse it is an orion board inside there is no mistaking that , but my board looks like maybe an early version of the 275sx without the EQ boost section. I have a fluke MM I had the settiongs on 2kohms and those readings are what I got , so I think I had the fluke set wrong ? I will get pics of the board and post them. I will deffinatley give you the readings I get when I do it correctly. I just need to get you pics. but yes I do get 0ohms I tried it again from the 78/79-15.

Why do you suppose they have a 78 and 7915 ?
Old 19th September 2006, 05:06 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

I wanted to add my 2 cent also but, i have a 2150 gx and it uses the 78/79-15 regulators and the amp i got would be good to add pictures on amp guts but, not sure how to get it up there.I have lots of pictures that guy doesn't have that would help others.The gx model has many odd facts about it and i see why they didn't carry that model long.

Hide this!Advertise here!