2150gx parts - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2006, 02:56 PM   #1
jbob30 is offline jbob30  United States
diyAudio Member

Question 2150gx parts

I have a Orion 2150gx amp that has one shorted transistor. Everything else checked fine. I removed the transistor and there are no markings on it at all....nothing. Do any of you have a parts list or schematic that I could purchase for this amp???
Old 5th September 2006, 06:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Can you post a photo of the location on the amp?
Old 5th September 2006, 06:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply!! It will be late tonight before I can, but I will ASAP.

THANKS!!
Old 6th September 2006, 05:41 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here is a picture of my amp. The bad transistor is pointed out with the blue arrow. Thanks for any help you can give identifying it!!!!

Click the image to open in full size.

Even if someone can identify this part, I would still like to have a schematic for this amp if anyone has one for sale.

Thanks again!!!!
Old 6th September 2006, 12:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If the outer legs of this component have zero resistance to the outer legs of the component just to the right of it, the two components are likely rectifiers. From the markings on the board, it's likely the arrow points to the negative rectifier. You can confirm this by measuring the resistance to the negative side of the rail caps (large blue capacitors). There should be a zero ohm connection to the negative terminal of two of the capacitors. The center leg of the other rectifier should have a zero ohm connection to the positive terminals of two of the rail caps.

If these are indeed rectifiers, and you find that it's connected to the negative terminal of two of the rail caps, an FEP16DTA should be a good replacement. Mouser.com has them.

Did you check the component after you removed it from the board?
Old 6th September 2006, 01:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

THANKS!!!

You're exactly right!! The bad rectifier's center leg is connected to the negative rail caps, and the rectifier to the right is connected to the positive rail caps. Both rectifiers outside legs are connected together and going to the smaller of the two coils.... just to the right of the rail caps.

When I first started checking this amp out, the outside legs of both of these rectifiers read 0 ohms (reading through the coil). I removed both of them to get a good reading, and the one on the left still read 0 ohms across outside legs. The rectifier on the right read normal (about 400 ohms positive lead on the outside leg, negative on the center...same for other outside leg to center) (that would be correct for a positive rectifier).

Would it be smart to replace both of them while I am doing this??? If I should, what would be a good replacement for the positive rectifier??? I will order the replacement(s) you suggest and let you know how it comes out!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!
Old 6th September 2006, 01:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

http://www.bcae1.com/ampfail.htm

Near the bottom of the page, it shows you how to check both positive and negative dual rectifiers.

If the positive rectifier is reading 400 ohms out of the board (not to be confused with 0.400 volts that you may read on diode-check), it's defective also.

You could use the FEP16DT as the replacement for the positive rectifier.
Old 6th September 2006, 03:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link....good information!!! I will replace both of them and let you know how it comes out!

Thanks again!
Old 21st September 2006, 09:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Perry Babin:

Just a quick note to let you know I ordered the parts you suggested from Mouser.com The parts were cheap, they shipped fast, and best of all IT'S FIXED!!!

I changed both of them just to make sure, and it works great.

Just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU!!!! You were very nice and helpful and I appreciate it.
Old 25th September 2006, 12:20 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default What were the symptoms?

Thanks for returning to say "it works". What were the original symptoms of the amplifier?

Hide this!Advertise here!