bass lag?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im sure this is a silly question, but why do some songs have their bass lag behind the music. Not by too much, but enough to ruin the songs. Some songs the subs keep in time, but a few, mainly the techno/dance sorts it can get behind, is there a way around this or is it just something known of subwoofers in cars?

Try flipping your subs phase. (swap + and - on the speakers).
This may put the timing better in the whole picture.
Not only the brand of the sub/amp makes the difference, also the location of the subs (near or far from the main-range speakers, listener in between or both in front or rear....?) is critical..

I know what the original poster is speaking about and it is only really noticable in dance songs. I don't think it has anything to do with timing issues. Dance music the kick drum is usually hitting on the beat so its very noticable when it appears that its not. In my experience what is happening is the sub is still hitting on the right beat, but the you here an extended vibration from other parts of the car. Turn the bass down and see what happens.

Offcourse! Very good way of describing it, never thought it could simply be delayed resonances.....

A car is not a very good listening-room indeed, the countless problems i've encountered designing my car stereo :dead:

Maybe self-adhesive bitumen can help you dampen whatever surface is giving the resonance.

This is the same stuff they stick to the bottom of metal bathroom-sinks against the overwhelming splashing water sound.

Finding the responsible piece of material can be tough though, but sticking it anywhere will have the advantage of making the car more "silent" overall, just go on till it stops......

xplod1236 said:
Maybe that's the way the music is. I noticed that too on some techno songs that you hear the drum, and then after a while the bass comes.

yeah, could be. but at times it is too irritating to ignore. :(

another explanation is that what we hear is indeed resonance but not of the car, but of the drum. because in most car systems, the subs are set with a little more gain than the front speakers, the initial "kick" of the drum is barely heard but the resounding "boom" is recreated but more loudly........hence the perception of delayed bass?

Not always. I just listened to some techno songs, and several songs have the bass lag behind the kick. Others, you hear the bass along with the kick. I have my car system set up so you can't even tell I have a sub. I've tried turning up the sub, but that made no difference. It was clear that some songs have bass lag while others don't.

The resonance of the drum would start at the same time as the kick. It would make no difference if it's louder than the kick or not. On some songs, it's easy to hear the kick, pause, and then the bass (resonance).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.