Orion 2100 Or 2250 Ohm Ques.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been running 3 12's with 2 battery's,orion isolater,1 far cap.I have been using a orion hcca 2100 old school with higher power supply and been happy with it for a long time.I just got a 2250 xtr and set it up in the place of the 2100.My ohm load was .66 on the 2100 hcca and worked fine and with the xtr 2250 about half way up the amp kinda mutes or sounds like a lack of power when a long bass hits but,before that point it hits.What i want to know is it because the 2250 can only push a 4ohm load and i'm trying to use the .66 load on it?Or can it be a lack of power witch this can't be i think.Or some amp problem or something with it along another place?Thanks.:)

You're trying to run the amp at 1/6 its rated minimum impedance?????

For god's sake why?? You're going to destroy the amp if you haven't already.

When you say it starts clipping when the amp is a little over half way up, are you talking about the gain? You do know that's not a volume control right? 100% gain does not mean 100% power and 0% gain does not mean 0% power. It's used to control the input sensitivity of the amp so that it reaches maximum power when your headunit reaches it's full, unclipped volume. It's labelled in volts because its position depends on the output voltage from your headunit. It's very possible (and these days, quite probable), that you will hit full output and begin clipping your amp with the gain all the way down. Half gain is too high in nearly every install with the strength of most headunit preouts these days.

I would never run the amp full gain but,i was having a problem with the amp showing clipping with no speakers hooked up.This seemed like something is wrong with the amp and maybe the output was bad or going bad.I have a 2100 orion that is kinda alike and doesn't do the same problem.I was wondering if anyone would know of this problem i have.

shallowfu said:
I would never run the amp full gain but,i was having a problem with the amp showing clipping with no speakers hooked up.

What's the problem?
Every amp does that

If your other one didn't, then you didn't test it right, as any headunit made in the last 15 years is capable of driving any amp made in the last 15 years to clipping (with or without the speakers hooked up). All it takes is ~200mV with most amps at full gain, and any headunit can do that easily. At half gain it only takes a volt or two (depending on the amp), which nearly every headunit can do.

I bought it from someone else and it looked like it was allmost fixed but, they fixed part of it and missed the mps-u57 and mps-u07.I think they gave up after that and those were all that needed to be replaced and it worked fine i thought and thats why i came for any help here!But something told me why not replace all the outputs and i have like a 100 of each of them here so it wouldn't hurt.Thats why what i was saying came out wrong and i got everyone mixed up,Sorry and thanks.

are you running the 2250 at .66 ohm?

i always thought those would die below 4 ohm mono, maybe box rise is keeping it alive?

i changed a few caps in a 225 i have to low esr caps and it made a big difference...when the bass hit.

would you mind telling me what outputs that 2250 uses along with the power supply fets? ive been wondering if they are the same as the rest of the series.

you want to sell that 2100 you have there??? :D

I'm still glad people are around that are keeping orion alive!well i have had lots of the 225 and i just sold 2 on ebay and they are great amps.What did you change the caps to,also it uses the same mosfets as a 225?Well the older 2100 uses 63v 4700uf caps in the output were the 2250 uses 50v 3300uf caps.the power suppy on the 2100 comes with smp60n05 mosfets and the 2500 comes with smp60n06.I replaced both amps with ndp7070 witch i found to work great.The 2250 op's are a2604 and the 2100 uses ne5532n.There are differences in the regulators also.There are lots of differences in the 2 and i just bought another xtr2250 yesturday and i am going to change it over to a 2100 to get a lower ohm.I have all the parts and just have to swap them out.I would like to get a detailed picture of the newer 2100 output parts to make sure and i just don't want to buy 1 just for pictures.But, with any changes to any amp adding higher anything can shortin the life of it and i can watch that over time.But there is a big change after changing just the mosfets.Also i changed the subs and now i am at a 1.33ohm load.

I had never ran the amp and i recieved the 2250 broken.Then i made the left over repairs and had got the cutting out.But what i was saying is i made all the changes to make the 2250 a 2100 and i kinda left that out in my first post.I was just wondering why it was cutting out at high levels and i made it the same as my other 2100.Now i know it was the going bad outputs.The boards are the same and 88% of the amp is the same parts.The new one i bought i will leave 4ohm and only change the power suppy to the ndp7060 and save the smp60n06.I have been saving them for when i get 225 and 425 for repair and keep them all org.Changing the power suppy does made a big difference.I have a lot of local people who want them and they know i will just fix them after they brake them at a show.I love Orion!

so when you changed the outputs, did you use the same part numbers?

i used different outputs for the 225 also, and it was quite a bit louder than the original 2n6688/91 combos. ..the originals i believe are 65-75 watts per pair...the ones i used were 90 with higher volt/a ratings.

when i changed the caps in the 225 i used elna's @ 1200uf , tried alot of different values...some values even hit to hard! and was less musical.

i stuck with the matching set that came on the amp and put new.What were the part numbers you replaced them with?I would like to look into that.I have came across the hit to hard also and thats not what i was looking for eather.I would change the caps but, there really isn't any room for bigger,shorter or fatter caps.the older 2100 has sideways caps and you can fitter bigger caps.

I try to replace the caps when i do repairs and i find replacements on ebay at good prices.I have a 225 that i have replaced everything but, the caps and resistors and i just can't get it to work and with everything new,mc2,ic's,mosfets,outputs,trans.,zeners d,just not sure? i get high voltage output coming out of it and some humming on the coil.all 3 lights light up?The transformer is good but,i just haven't put much more into it because i have no housing right now for it.But,it is strange?I am going to do some testing and today i ordered the 2 outputs and 1 of them was like .50ea. and the other .75ea witch is a good price.Do you get any problems from those ever?I make those bridging modules for the first gen orion amps.I think i may make a different post with pictures for fun of learning.There are a couple of different thing that can be used but, i will leave that for another post.

do i have problems with the 225 hcca (digital reference)? this is probably an understatement, i almost jumped off a building because of one, i did everything you probably did.. changed just about all the components...and still little or extremely low output
i even wound a new transformer because i though it was shorted.

i bet this is what is happening to you.....:D

the problem as explained by Perry Babin was that the muting circuit wasnt working properly...look for the to-92 case transistor
2Nxxxx (forgot number) there are 3 of them, remove them and see if the sound comes.

good luck!

I do know those parts your talking about.I will try and i think i came across your post.I think i read every post that talks anything about orion on this forum.With the 225 i have i got so pissed i just located another board to get rid of the amp.I still have the board maybe i will take it out,i just remember a huge headace!LOL.I remeber the outputs have like 22 volts coming out of them witch to me that tells me a bad output.But, they are all new as with all the parts.So how is there a leak?I can build the big boys but, the little 225 brings me to crazy!I just can't seem to sell it on ebay and get rid of it or use it for parts.I just throw it back in the box.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.