Orion 2100 Or 2250 Ohm Ques. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2006, 12:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Orion 2100 Or 2250 Ohm Ques.

I have been running 3 12's with 2 battery's,orion isolater,1 far cap.I have been using a orion hcca 2100 old school with higher power supply and been happy with it for a long time.I just got a 2250 xtr and set it up in the place of the 2100.My ohm load was .66 on the 2100 hcca and worked fine and with the xtr 2250 about half way up the amp kinda mutes or sounds like a lack of power when a long bass hits but,before that point it hits.What i want to know is it because the 2250 can only push a 4ohm load and i'm trying to use the .66 load on it?Or can it be a lack of power witch this can't be i think.Or some amp problem or something with it along another place?Thanks.
Old 29th August 2006, 02:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I had a update,The amp shows clipping with no speakers hooked up at little over half way up.I might be trying to push the 2250 to hard and need to lower the gain.But if there is anyone with a orion and ran into this let me know.
Old 29th August 2006, 03:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to sr20dem0n
You're trying to run the amp at 1/6 its rated minimum impedance?????

For god's sake why?? You're going to destroy the amp if you haven't already.

When you say it starts clipping when the amp is a little over half way up, are you talking about the gain? You do know that's not a volume control right? 100% gain does not mean 100% power and 0% gain does not mean 0% power. It's used to control the input sensitivity of the amp so that it reaches maximum power when your headunit reaches it's full, unclipped volume. It's labelled in volts because its position depends on the output voltage from your headunit. It's very possible (and these days, quite probable), that you will hit full output and begin clipping your amp with the gain all the way down. Half gain is too high in nearly every install with the strength of most headunit preouts these days.
Old 29th August 2006, 03:13 AM   #4
oPossum is offline oPossum  United States
diyAudio Member

Wire the subs in series for a 6 ohm load. The 2250 should tolerate driving that bridged.
Old 29th August 2006, 03:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I would never run the amp full gain but,i was having a problem with the amp showing clipping with no speakers hooked up.This seemed like something is wrong with the amp and maybe the output was bad or going bad.I have a 2100 orion that is kinda alike and doesn't do the same problem.I was wondering if anyone would know of this problem i have.
Old 29th August 2006, 03:37 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shallowfu
I would never run the amp full gain but,i was having a problem with the amp showing clipping with no speakers hooked up.
What's the problem?
Every amp does that

If your other one didn't, then you didn't test it right, as any headunit made in the last 15 years is capable of driving any amp made in the last 15 years to clipping (with or without the speakers hooked up). All it takes is ~200mV with most amps at full gain, and any headunit can do that easily. At half gain it only takes a volt or two (depending on the amp), which nearly every headunit can do.
Old 29th August 2006, 03:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Than you answered my ques. ,I wasn't sure if it would only do it with the speakers hooked up.Were is mine is chipping with the speaker hooked up on or no speakers.Thanks.
Old 6th September 2006, 04:12 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have a followup,i changed all the output trans. and 1 had to be going because after the swap of the new parts the cutting out is gone.I think what i was trying to say wasn't coming outright.But for know my xtr2250 is running perfect!
Old 6th September 2006, 04:19 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Oh it was cutting out?

That's not clipping, this is clipping.

You probably fried the output transistor running it at 1/6 its rated minimum impedance. You're lucky that's all that fried...
Old 6th September 2006, 04:27 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I bought it from someone else and it looked like it was allmost fixed but, they fixed part of it and missed the mps-u57 and mps-u07.I think they gave up after that and those were all that needed to be replaced and it worked fine i thought and thats why i came for any help here!But something told me why not replace all the outputs and i have like a 100 of each of them here so it wouldn't hurt.Thats why what i was saying came out wrong and i got everyone mixed up,Sorry and thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!