help me pick SPL sub small enclosure 500w - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2006, 09:23 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default help me pick SPL sub small enclosure 500w

hi. i have an 02 camaro with a .7 cubic foot stealthbox. jl 500/1 amp with jl 10w6v2 sub.
the w6 is rated at 400 watts i believe, and i am pushing it and it is making some popping sounds and stuff and the amp is sometimes clipping at high volumes. i turned down the bass a little but am unhappy. so i guess i need a new sub. Whats a recomendation for a good sub. sq is somewhat important, but i really want ALOT of bass. money is not really a factor.
thanks-scott
Old 28th August 2006, 10:13 PM   #2
Jexx is offline Jexx  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jexx
You can always get the 10w7, takes the full 500w RMS, though the enclosure will have to be 1.25cu feet-which admittedly isn't bad.
Old 28th August 2006, 10:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

i thought of that...but i would have to get a new box. right now i have a stealthbox and it still allows me to store my t tops. i would like to use the existing box. i just need a small enclosure sub that will have lots of bass. the box is sealed btw.
Old 29th August 2006, 03:16 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

the jl 500/1 has been tested at 550 watts or so, sounds like you are pushing the sub to its limits to get the listening levels you like,or you have the gain levels and parametric eq on board out of whack,if not you may look into a larger driver, check out diymobileaudio.com for the new 12 in sub,great price -specs,and can be used in a .35 cu ft sealed and up, with 550 watts it should get you to reasonable listening levels with most subs.
Old 30th August 2006, 06:02 PM   #5
belunt is offline belunt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to belunt
I'm assuming you're looking for a loud daily driver setup and not a fart box (SPL setup). I hate to say it but I'm not sure a new sub off that much power is really going to give you the bass you want. Why not go with a bigger ported enclosure? The enclosure is just as if not more important than the woofer itself, I would track down someone on the boards that knows that vehicle with some box building experience. Dropping a new woofer in there might give you a little better output but is not going to be night and day.
Old 30th August 2006, 08:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Are you familiar with Audiobahn at all? Before the Immortal and Eternal series, there was another sub that was the highest end sub Audiobahn sold. Very limited edition. I have it and used to power it with 1200 watts of power. The amp is actually capable of 2400 (in theory) at 1 ohm, but I didnt need to wire it at 1 ohm. Anyway, this 1 10"sub, cracked the front windshiled in my car, so I removed it and loaned it to a friend who had an SUV.
Well, my idiot friend killed the amp somehow within a month (i think he tried messing with the wires) and now I just have this sweet sub in a VERY NICE ported box. Small box at that. 1 cubic foot box. Not much of an increase for you.

If you are interested, I can send you pics. I think the sub was rated for 600 or 800 watts, but it is like the w7...It is much more capable than the specs suggest. But please dont ask for pics just for fun because it is burried in my walk-in closet!LOL

Best of luck,
Dominick
Old 30th August 2006, 08:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Having any "great" equipment doesn't guarantee best sound, that's why there is no such thing as the best woofer/best amplifier don't get me wrong some are mechanically leagues ahead of others but - equipment 10% - install 90%. I wouldn't spend the money on a W7 to drop in that box, when you might have more potential spending half as much or even keeping what you've got and working on install/ namely the enclosure.
Old 30th August 2006, 08:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Not sure if you are referring to my post? If you are, I think you misunderstood...

I essentially said that I owned what was considered Audiobahns premier subwoofer. Their flagship model which of course is now the Eternal and Immortal series.

Also, this is the first mention of "best" sound that I have seen on this thread. Most people dont "think" they can tell the difference anyway, so while I do agree with you, SPL seems to be the objective of the thread creator.

Furthermore, the box that I happen to have this sub installed into has been in SPL competitions in its exact configurations. 2005-2006 timeframe. Not the one I have, but an identical one. So I agree again with you, that I would also not throw the w7 (or any sub) into a box that it has not been matched with properly.

Dominick
Old 30th August 2006, 10:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I was only restating the fact that dropping a different woofer into the exact setup isn't going to be night and day. And I'm sure that he's just looking for a mean daily driver setup, I haven't seen any mention to any of the leagues/classes he's going to run in. And 500W & SPL usually don't go hand in hand.
Old 30th August 2006, 10:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

hey dominick- that sub sounds great, but with my car, i dont really have much space to throw in a normal square or rectangle box unless its pretty small. your box might work...i would appreciate it if you could tell me the measurements of the box and also pix would be great... there wouldnt be any possability i could put this sub in my existing box right? it probably needs a ported one. get back with me thanks. the sub and everything is is good shape right... your friend didnt do anythignt o it when he broke the amp?- scott

Hide this!Advertise here!