help me pick SPL sub small enclosure 500w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi. i have an 02 camaro with a .7 cubic foot stealthbox. jl 500/1 amp with jl 10w6v2 sub.
the w6 is rated at 400 watts i believe, and i am pushing it and it is making some popping sounds and stuff and the amp is sometimes clipping at high volumes. i turned down the bass a little but am unhappy. so i guess i need a new sub. Whats a recomendation for a good sub. sq is somewhat important, but i really want ALOT of bass. money is not really a factor.
thanks-scott

the jl 500/1 has been tested at 550 watts or so, sounds like you are pushing the sub to its limits to get the listening levels you like,or you have the gain levels and parametric eq on board out of whack,if not you may look into a larger driver, check out diymobileaudio.com for the new 12 in sub,great price -specs,and can be used in a .35 cu ft sealed and up, with 550 watts it should get you to reasonable listening levels with most subs.

I'm assuming you're looking for a loud daily driver setup and not a fart box (SPL setup). I hate to say it but I'm not sure a new sub off that much power is really going to give you the bass you want. Why not go with a bigger ported enclosure? The enclosure is just as if not more important than the woofer itself, I would track down someone on the boards that knows that vehicle with some box building experience. Dropping a new woofer in there might give you a little better output but is not going to be night and day.

Are you familiar with Audiobahn at all? Before the Immortal and Eternal series, there was another sub that was the highest end sub Audiobahn sold. Very limited edition. I have it and used to power it with 1200 watts of power. The amp is actually capable of 2400 (in theory) at 1 ohm, but I didnt need to wire it at 1 ohm. Anyway, this 1 10"sub, cracked the front windshiled in my car, so I removed it and loaned it to a friend who had an SUV.
Well, my idiot friend killed the amp somehow within a month (i think he tried messing with the wires) and now I just have this sweet sub in a VERY NICE ported box. Small box at that. 1 cubic foot box. Not much of an increase for you.

If you are interested, I can send you pics. I think the sub was rated for 600 or 800 watts, but it is like the w7...It is much more capable than the specs suggest. But please dont ask for pics just for fun because it is burried in my walk-in closet!LOL

Best of luck,
Dominick

Having any "great" equipment doesn't guarantee best sound, that's why there is no such thing as the best woofer/best amplifier don't get me wrong some are mechanically leagues ahead of others but - equipment 10% - install 90%. I wouldn't spend the money on a W7 to drop in that box, when you might have more potential spending half as much or even keeping what you've got and working on install/ namely the enclosure.

Not sure if you are referring to my post? If you are, I think you misunderstood...

I essentially said that I owned what was considered Audiobahns premier subwoofer. Their flagship model which of course is now the Eternal and Immortal series.

Also, this is the first mention of "best" sound that I have seen on this thread. Most people dont "think" they can tell the difference anyway, so while I do agree with you, SPL seems to be the objective of the thread creator.

Furthermore, the box that I happen to have this sub installed into has been in SPL competitions in its exact configurations. 2005-2006 timeframe. Not the one I have, but an identical one. So I agree again with you, that I would also not throw the w7 (or any sub) into a box that it has not been matched with properly.

Dominick

I was only restating the fact that dropping a different woofer into the exact setup isn't going to be night and day. And I'm sure that he's just looking for a mean daily driver setup, I haven't seen any mention to any of the leagues/classes he's going to run in. And 500W & SPL usually don't go hand in hand.

hey dominick- that sub sounds great, but with my car, i dont really have much space to throw in a normal square or rectangle box unless its pretty small. your box might work...i would appreciate it if you could tell me the measurements of the box and also pix would be great... there wouldnt be any possability i could put this sub in my existing box right? it probably needs a ported one. get back with me thanks. the sub and everything is is good shape right... your friend didnt do anythignt o it when he broke the amp?- scott

no, the sub/box is still in great condition. It will look new. I think what happened is he touched something to the power or ground wire while it was running (guessing) and it essentially ruined the power supply in the amp. I had it checked out. The problem is I cant find someone to fix it now!LOL

The sub has no damage. I will work on the pics and other requests if 250.00 is in your price range. The sub was 315.00 new and the box was over 100.00. 120.00 I think. It has a fiberglass window as well so you can see the magnet or mount the sub in reverse with the magnet facing forward and the cone on the inside of the box.

Dominick

Dominick

if there is confusion... i am looking for a loud daily driver...i wont be competing or anything...the only way i would be able to do a different box is if it fits in my odd shaped trunk...i have about 19 inches wide by 12 inches deep and about 18 inches tall. if i remove my t top mounts, it would extend the 19 inches to 32 inches. which would work since i guess unless im using my current stealth box (.7cubic feet 10 inch sub) , i wont have room to store the t tops anyways.

No--I undersand exactly what you are looking for. The thing is, the sub I am offering you wasn't entered in the competition exactly...LOL

It was the box that the comp. was for! An SPL comp for boxes more or less. Anyway, this is the one that won with this sub in it. I dont know what they used for power though?

Dominick

OK scott,

I dragged this thing out, measured it and took pictures. I hope that you like it, because it was a pain in the butt!LOL

It measures 16X18X13 1/2.

You may need to measure your 12" side for exactness. I would say the box is actually 13 1/4, but I am giving it a little extra to be safe. So if you can squeeze another inch or so, I think it would be good. Also remember that if you need to pin it making the bo depress the cushion or other like object back there, this is fine. Dont stop measuring at the edge of the cloth becuase the box can push into this and gain some room there.

I was also wrong about its rating. It can take up to 1000 RMS. Don't fret though. I ran it on a 500 watt memphis when I first took it home from the store. I could not yet afford the monster amp yet and the salesman (whom I really trust) sold it to me with confidence. Never had a problem, so your JL should work as well or better.

Here are the pics:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Like you have heard in this thread and I am sure in other areas, the box is just as important as the sub. This box is more than just a plain port. It has a porting similar to that of the Bose Wave Radio. The port is sort of a tunnel as opposed to a hole. This tunes the box more effectively.

*Now the interesting part. The comp that this set up was entered into was a box comp to see who could achieve the flatest EQ curve from 30hz-80hz. A prime area for subs. Most boxes have natural resonances...peaks and valleys depending on size, shape, tuning frequency, and so on. This one does as well. I am not going to tell you that this box produced a completely flat response. No "real"box could ever do that, but it came the closest. Thats the point. You know that according to a real measure, this is the best tuned car sub/box you can get. Of course, you will have your own likes/dislikes for how the box is tuned, but now you can do that from your head unit or amp at will.

Good Luck...Tell me what you think,
Dominick
P.S. The name Orion was quickly changed to SubZone shortly after this box was released. You can visit their site here:
http://www.subzoneusa.com/

Obviously, there selection has changed a little. I didn't see any fiberglass window ones!?

Here is the only ad on e-bay for just the sub.

They don't even make it anymore and it is still going for $200.00 a year after discontinued.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI...004QQitemZ140023725691QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I promise you this will hit like 2 12" subs! Like I said...the windshield!

I also have some JL component speakers if you are interested. A 6X8 set and a 5 1/4 set. They would not fit in my new car. Now I have MB Quart and I dont like them as much. The MB Quarts are too bright.

Dominick

It sounds like you have not seen this.

Firebird Enclosure

the firebird should be the same as your car for hatchback dimensions.

In my opinion .7 cu ft is major limiting factor. If your pushing the woofer to its mechanical limits you need a larger xmax and being able to perform in a small box. You are limiting yourself to inherently more inefficient drivers which will require more power.

I assume you still need the back seat.

nope, never seen the firebird box...what a cool idea...but im now planning on getting the well box... the only thing is the one i can get is flat on top and i assume shows some of the triangle shaped hole area where i currently have the stealth box...(weell actually i currently have a 12 cerwin vega stroker in a ported box taking up my whole back seat...but thats just till i find something)...but anyways...the box is similar to the ones being sold on ebay for about $75 but i can get it for for $35 fro my friend who gets stuff wholesale...its like this http://cgi.ebay.com/1996-2003-Chevy...2QQihZ020QQcategoryZ14945QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
i would much rather have the subthumb box..but its like $270...soooo expensive...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.