(2x) Dayton QT385-4 15" Quatro's in my trunk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(2x) Dayton QT385-4 15" Quatro's in my trunk

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I have a lot of experience with home audio over at avsforum, but I don't know a whole lot about car audio. Matter of fact, I haven't been driving long so I haven't been into car audio much. Now I'm ready to put a system in my car.

Thanks to the fellas at avsforum, I decided on a driver. It's the Dayton QT385-4 15" Quatro from www.partsexpress.com. It's a 4 ohm driver w/ 300w RMS & 600w max. I plan to get 2 of these for my car.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My intent is to find out what would be a good enclosure size, allignment, and amp (namebrand, power rating) for 2 of these drivers in a single enclosure. I will build the enclosure myself. The plan is to get a mono amp, and wire the 2 drivers in parallel for a 2 ohm load. I would assume I shouldn't need much more than 600w at 2 ohm since each driver is 300w.

Any help appreciated.

Also--I uploaded my box design, in case anyone is interested. (the light blue in the image is plexi-glass). Thanks!

P.S: Is anyone familiar with the [free] program "WinISD"?

Attachments

• car sub box3.png
    car sub box3.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 133
as long as you wire them correctly, they wouldn't suffer from cancellation.

also, you need rather thick plexiglass if you want that much area transparent. plexiglass flexes much easily than MDF. use bracing or smaller windows.

as for power, 600W is already a lot for a car. but having a too much is not bad unless you keep it cranked up.

if you're installing both into the box with both magnets inside the box, wire the "+" terminal of both speakers to the "+" terminal of the amp and both "-" of the speakers to the "-" of the amp.

if you want either speaker installed with a magnet out, whichever speaker installed with a magnet out should be connected in reverse like the "+" of the speaker to the "-" of the amp and the "-" to the "+" of the amp.......

rocko1290 said:
I didn't know you could hook up a subwoofer without the magnet in place?...

How thick of plexiglass would you reccommend, and how could I brace it?

--Thanks

no! I meant the sub installed but it is put in the box backwards firing into the box not out of the box.

:D

the plexiglass should be atleast 3/4 inch thick. bracing is a little hard to explain but it's like adding supports to make the panels stiffer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.