Can it be repaired? PPI PC2350

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a PPI PC2350 hooked up in my car...and I decided to do something brilliant...I moved the sub around and the negative wire got ripped out of the binding post and touched the positive post. Immediately I could smell pizza (oh geez) and opened the trunk and lo and behold, smoke was coming out of the amp.

I immediately opened it up to find the three caps on the side of which the speakers crossed had all blown...cap fluid was spilled everywhere in the amp.

My question is this before I go on with anything else: Just because the cap fluid spilled, it doesn't mean it isn't repairable, right?

Anyway, I have a feeling I lost some output transisotors as well...:smash:

Jexx said:
I had a PPI PC2350 hooked up in my car...and I decided to do something brilliant...I moved the sub around and the negative wire got ripped out of the binding post and touched the positive post. Immediately I could smell pizza (oh geez) and opened the trunk and lo and behold, smoke was coming out of the amp.

I immediately opened it up to find the three caps on the side of which the speakers crossed had all blown...cap fluid was spilled everywhere in the amp.

My question is this before I go on with anything else: Just because the cap fluid spilled, it doesn't mean it isn't repairable, right?

Anyway, I have a feeling I lost some output transisotors as well...:smash:

It can definately be repaired. Email me and I can help you out.

You blew the outputs on a channel. When this happens a power rail shorts to the other thru the power supply caps and of course they can't take the 120 volts across the 63 volt rated caps very long so they hand grenade and spew out their guts all over the inside of the amp.

Sorry to hear about your accident, you should clean up the cap juice right away with towels of some sort, and i use alcohol to aid in the clean up. this stuff can be corrosive and can cause alot of issues in the course of repair / rebuild.

You will need new caps in the power supply and they are a difficult size to replace, as most caps of this value are larger in size than the one PPI used back then. Then theres the set of Sanken outputs that need to be replaced. ( 10 total per channel) And I hope your ceramic channel driver was not damaged. They can be fixed, but its time consuming as most folks try to do it in circuit and they are much better repaired out of circuit. I have one on my bench right now that needs this as someone tried to repair it in circuit and it must be removed to be cleaned and repaired now. WHEW!!

I know all this because I had to do it to mine when i first got it, and I have another waiting for me to get the time to bring it back to life.

Good luck and i hope the other poster TO-3 can get you connected ... cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.