Can it be repaired? PPI PC2350 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2006, 01:53 AM   #1
Jexx is offline Jexx  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jexx
Default Can it be repaired? PPI PC2350

I had a PPI PC2350 hooked up in my car...and I decided to do something brilliant...I moved the sub around and the negative wire got ripped out of the binding post and touched the positive post. Immediately I could smell pizza (oh geez) and opened the trunk and lo and behold, smoke was coming out of the amp.

I immediately opened it up to find the three caps on the side of which the speakers crossed had all blown...cap fluid was spilled everywhere in the amp.

My question is this before I go on with anything else: Just because the cap fluid spilled, it doesn't mean it isn't repairable, right?

Anyway, I have a feeling I lost some output transisotors as well...
Old 6th August 2006, 02:50 AM   #2
TO-3 is offline TO-3  Peru
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TO-3
Default Re: Can it be repaired? PPI PC2350

Quote:
Originally posted by Jexx
I had a PPI PC2350 hooked up in my car...and I decided to do something brilliant...I moved the sub around and the negative wire got ripped out of the binding post and touched the positive post. Immediately I could smell pizza (oh geez) and opened the trunk and lo and behold, smoke was coming out of the amp.

I immediately opened it up to find the three caps on the side of which the speakers crossed had all blown...cap fluid was spilled everywhere in the amp.

My question is this before I go on with anything else: Just because the cap fluid spilled, it doesn't mean it isn't repairable, right?

Anyway, I have a feeling I lost some output transisotors as well...
It can definately be repaired. Email me and I can help you out.
Old 6th August 2006, 06:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

You blew the outputs on a channel. When this happens a power rail shorts to the other thru the power supply caps and of course they can't take the 120 volts across the 63 volt rated caps very long so they hand grenade and spew out their guts all over the inside of the amp.

Sorry to hear about your accident, you should clean up the cap juice right away with towels of some sort, and i use alcohol to aid in the clean up. this stuff can be corrosive and can cause alot of issues in the course of repair / rebuild.

You will need new caps in the power supply and they are a difficult size to replace, as most caps of this value are larger in size than the one PPI used back then. Then theres the set of Sanken outputs that need to be replaced. ( 10 total per channel) And I hope your ceramic channel driver was not damaged. They can be fixed, but its time consuming as most folks try to do it in circuit and they are much better repaired out of circuit. I have one on my bench right now that needs this as someone tried to repair it in circuit and it must be removed to be cleaned and repaired now. WHEW!!

I know all this because I had to do it to mine when i first got it, and I have another waiting for me to get the time to bring it back to life.

Good luck and i hope the other poster TO-3 can get you connected ... cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!